Vanilla Beans

Baking By sugardugar Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm by divinecc

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 12

I want vanilla beans. I love the look and the taste in recipes. As with most things...I need to get them online. What do you recommend? As in...what's the difference in the types?

I found a place with bottles of paste where 1 tbsp = 1 bean. This seems so much easier...anyone ever try it?

Thanks!

11 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 12

I use the paste all of the time, it's great. I love the look and I think it tastes better than vanilla extract, you just use it the same way.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 12

Amazon.

I get madagascar beans...about 52 for $30 with shipping icon_biggrin.gif

Greatest investment ever!

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 12

I also like vanilla beans and the paste. Either one just gives a great flavor! I found a great deal on a bottle of vanilla paste at Ross'. icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:33am
post #5 of 12

I still buy vanilla beans but for other cooking purposes now. For baking vanilla paste is the cats meow if you can get your hands on the good stuff.
You can also make your own, just like you can vanilla or vanilla sugar, but sometimes buying it's just so much easier.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:13am
post #6 of 12

I buy the beans so I can make vanilla essence aswell. Any beans that I scrape for the seeds, I add to the bottle of vodka so that none of the bean ever goes to waste.

I buy mine of eBay, but I'm from the UK so that may not be relevant. Have a look and see icon_smile.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 12

Lovely - thanks guys!!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 12

found an ebay store that specializes in vanilla beans.
http://stores.ebay.com/vanillaproductsusa
read a review on them and one person said that they got the pound of madagascar beans and there were approx. 115 beans in the pound. this is the cheapest i have ever seen the beans.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 12

I use vanilla bean paste all the time and love it! I am curious as to how you use a vanilla bean, do you grind it up? I know you would probably soak the bean in alcohol for vanilla extract like some others mentioned. How would you use it in a cake or cookies? Are there any other fun things to use them in? Just curious.... icon_wink.gif

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 12

I buy the whole beans from Qzina (they offer great chocolate as well) and I bought the paste from Snowcap. They are both restarant supply stores in BC but you might be able to find something similar out there.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 12

When I order, I receive a vacuum sealed pack of 100 beans. What you do is take them out of the pack, wrap them up in cling film (saran) in bunches of 5 or 10 (I pull the saran quite tight around them), you then put them in a sealable jar eg screw top (I use an old coffee jar) then keep them in a dark cupboard. Any time you use them you take out one of the bunches, take out what you need and re wrap them.

To use vanilla beans you run your knife down the length of it, try not to cut the bean in half. Then flip the knife over and use the back of the knife to scrape the beans out. Add the seeds to whatever your making. I find the seeds work best in items you cook, eg baking or infused into milk over the hob. I use the homemade vanilla essence for things that aren't cooked eg buttercreams.

When I make vanilla essence I get a bottle of vodka and add the beans to it (cut length ways but not scraped) there is a recipe for how many beans per cl of vodka but I just go by what looks right. Just google homemade vanilla essence. I then leave it in a cupboard and shake it once a week. I add my leftover beans to it whenever I have any. It'll take at least 3 months to "mature". I like to leave it about 5-6 months. When you use a bit I top it up with vodka so that all the beans are covered. Obviously it'll make it weaker so you have to find the balance. I like to have a bottle "maturing" whilst I am using another one.

Hope that all makes sense and helps icon_smile.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

When I order, I receive a vacuum sealed pack of 100 beans. What you do is take them out of the pack, wrap them up in cling film (saran) in bunches of 5 or 10 (I pull the saran quite tight around them), you then put them in a sealable jar eg screw top (I use an old coffee jar) then keep them in a dark cupboard. Any time you use them you take out one of the bunches, take out what you need and re wrap them.

To use vanilla beans you run your knife down the length of it, try not to cut the bean in half. Then flip the knife over and use the back of the knife to scrape the beans out. Add the seeds to whatever your making. I find the seeds work best in items you cook, eg baking or infused into milk over the hob. I use the homemade vanilla essence for things that aren't cooked eg buttercreams.

When I make vanilla essence I get a bottle of vodka and add the beans to it (cut length ways but not scraped) there is a recipe for how many beans per cl of vodka but I just go by what looks right. Just google homemade vanilla essence. I then leave it in a cupboard and shake it once a week. I add my leftover beans to it whenever I have any. It'll take at least 3 months to "mature". I like to leave it about 5-6 months. When you use a bit I top it up with vodka so that all the beans are covered. Obviously it'll make it weaker so you have to find the balance. I like to have a bottle "maturing" whilst I am using another one.

Hope that all makes sense and helps icon_smile.gif

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to explain, I am definitely going to experiment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%