Preventing Color Show Through On Bc Covered Dark Choc Cake

Decorating By loml001 Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm by DianeLM

loml001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loml001 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 2

I have tried numerous times - with what seems to be obscene amounts of BC on dark choc cake - but always can see the dark shadow of the chocolate showing through. If I were doing all choc for the cakes not a problem but when set next to a WASC cake the shadow is obvious. Suggestions please? (and yes I am doing a crumb coat) Thanks from a frustrated baker!

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 2

I know you think you're using a thick layer of bc, but it sounds like it STILL isn't thick enough. Are you perhaps taking a lot of the icing off when you're smoothing it? I've been guilty of that.

I can suggest a quick fix for today's cake, but it really sounds to me like you've got to practice applying a thick layer of bc.

Mix some crumbled up WASC with your icing. About a 70/30 ratiio of icing to cake (mostly icing). It should be slightly thicker than usual. If it's too thick to spread on the cake, pop it in the microwave for about 5 seconds to loosen it up. Don't add liquid.

Use this mixture as your crumb coat. If you can chill it or let it set up for some time on the cake, that's even better. Apply your regular bc over this layer. If your final coat is too thin, the chocolate will still not be visible. However, if you pull any of this cake crumb layer off while you're smoothing, then you'll know for sure that you've got to use a lighter hand. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%