Help - Attaching Gumpaste "40" Topper To Sticks -

Decorating By kbnickel Updated 4 May 2011 , 8:46pm by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

kbnickel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbnickel Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 16

Help - I have seen a million cakes with stand up number toppers attached to the top tier of the cakes and I am wondering what is the best way to do it.

Should I attached the numbers to sticks? If so, how do you "glue" the numbers to the sticks?

Any ideas or suggestions are WELCOME! Thanks in advance!

15 replies
Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 16

I use candy melts to attach the sticks. Then I take a small strip of fondant and cover that up!

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 16

YOu can also use royal icing, but it does need time to dry completely.

kbnickel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbnickel Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 16

The numbers are pretty big, I am scared that royal icing or candy melts won't be strong enough... is there anything stronger that you know of? I have heard about fondant glue/adhesive - do you know what this is?

Thanks again =)

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 16

I use gum glue and put a strip of fondant over it. I make standup numbers all of the time and candy melts, gum glue and fondant, royal icing - it's all strong enough. Just make sure that one you attach the sticks that they have time to dry.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 16

Chocolate!

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 16

Interesting...I am going to making some of these coming up soon, and I was under the impression that you can form the numbers around sticks (or push the sticks through the gumpaste) before it dried. I'm doing a 15, so I can see how the 5 or a 0 could be tricky... I guess I will need to experiment!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 16

What you don't want to use is fondant. It dries so slowly that it might be ready next year. Best to use colored chocolate or even better, gumpaste. Then put some gum glue on a stick and put the fondant number into your oven over night with the oven OFF but the oven light ON. In the morning your letter or number will be dry enough to place on the cake. Gum glue is just fondant dissolved in water, making it a sticky substance you use in place of Elmers Glue - for edible items.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 16

I've always stuck the sticks into my gumpaste numbers. You have no idea how well chocolate or candy melts can stick two things together and they harden in just a minute, whereas fondant glue, gum glue (CMC in water) and RI all take a while to dry - time enough for the sticks to slip around!

pburgess68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pburgess68 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 16

Would this method be best for making a "J" for a wedding cake topper as well? Haven't attempted that yet and need to get my butt in gear.

Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, it would, pburgess68! Go for it!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 16

I did my kids' names on a few different cakes and molded the letters from fondant/gumpaste around bamboo skewers leaving enough room for them to be inserted into the cake. It worked perfectly.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/40342

Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 16

So there you have it - bamboo skewers can hold up anything! By the way, that's one cool flamingo cake, KarenOR! I put it in my favorites.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

So there you have it - bamboo skewers can hold up anything! By the way, that's one cool flamingo cake, KarenOR! I put it in my favorites.

Thanks!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 2:10am
post #15 of 16

I just did a number 1 for the sop of a cake and I did 2 pieces of gumpaste into a 1, one being slightly larger than the other, then painted the smaller one with candy melt and glued the two together. Made a cool look and dried very quickly. Good Luck!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 16

I stick several toothpicks into the bottom of the numbers before they dry. In my photos you can see where I did a number 30 a number 18 and a 60 topper I have had no problems !!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%