How Might I Fix Leaning Castle Turrets?

Decorating By Crazy-Gray Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 8:56am by Crazy-Gray

Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:38am
post #1 of 7

icon_sad.gif I have some good solid RKT turrets about 10" tall each covered with white choc and then sugarpaste, the RKT isn't soft and drooping it's really sturdy and they are inserted into the cake about 2 inches. There are some plastic drinking straw cut-offs inserted into the layer of cake below so the turrets dont sink deeper, but they are very gradually leaning to the side and I'm worried that transporting will make them fall and pull the base cake apart.... I have tried a ring of gumpaste where the turret meets the top of the base cake but it seems to stretch and crack the sugarpaste
Would anybody have any advice on securing top-heavy awkward things like this?

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:53am
post #2 of 7

Are they free standing on top of the cake, or against the side of a cake?

Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:18am
post #3 of 7

Two are free standing on top but inserted into the cake about 2 inches, one is against the side of the cake but seems secure at the moment after attaching it to the drum board with white chocolate.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:37am
post #4 of 7

Although I will no longer do free standing turrets in anything other than cardboard tubes because of this very issue, I have managed to stabilise them in the past by piping stiff royal icing around the bases and letting them dry prior to transporting.

Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:18am
post #5 of 7

For the future then would you advise building RKT turrets onto dowels screwed into the Drum?

AnotherCreation Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:36am
post #6 of 7

if you can remove the turrets you can put a toothpick or skewer in the bottom of the turret, melt candymelts and put the candy melts in the straw and then inset the toothpick in the straw. the candy melts will set up holding the toothpick in place. I have had to go back and do this before in a pinch. hth

Crazy-Gray Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:56am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your tips folks, this turned out good and strong thanks to you both:
You gave me the idea to soften the base of the RKT towers and lengthen them with more RKT so that they then reached the Drum borad, I poured some white choc in the hole, used a thick BC on the sides, reinserted the towers and used a stiff Royal icing round their bases.
Thanks again, very grateful of your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%