Transport On The Pedestal Or Not?

Decorating By dressageviolist Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm by KoryAK

dressageviolist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dressageviolist Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:23am
post #1 of 14

I just ordered one of the nice silver cake pedestals, and wondered if I should have the cake on it before I transport it to the venue. The first time I use it will be for a three tier square 10, 8 and 6 on a 12" pedestal.

Thanks!

13 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 14

I would not transport the cake on the cake petastal.

donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 14

Definitely not! Unless you have some kind of wide and sturdy support (foam, etc.) under the pedastal to keep it secure.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:01am
post #4 of 14

No Way!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:08am
post #5 of 14

Just a suggestion, depending on how large the pedestal the cake is sitting on, I have in the past with a delivery, had a cake sitting on a glass cake pedestal. To deliver it 16 miles away, I took a large square plastic container, put weights in the bottom with those plastic skid sheets you use for cabinet shelf liners. I cut a whole in the lid of the container large enough to slid the pedestal base (bottom) in and out but not larger than the pedestal plate itself. I also, put the non skid shelf line on the top lid around the whole to keep the cake plate from sliding. It worked like a charm. I hope this makes sense.

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1439561

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #6 of 14

I say no... there's too much that could go wrong. It's easy to just place it on top at the venue... why risk it?

dressageviolist Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 14

Thanks! It seems unanimous. Could you then share with me your method for switching the cake from the board/box you transport it on to the pedestal? Since I have always used boards, I have tended to decorate and stack right on them.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:22am
post #8 of 14

i, too, just ordered some stands and am unsure how to make the switch from board to stand when i get to my venue without destroying icon_sad.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:18am
post #9 of 14

Would drum boards, Masonite or foam core boards with cake boards that are covered work? I've seen them used with the cake pedestals. Deliver the cake on these and slide onto the pedestal plate and decorate. And add a square of the non skid shelf liner to the pedestal before adding the cake on drum boards to prevent any sliding as well for security.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 14

I use a cake drum. If you use one that is pretty close to the size of your bottom tier there isn't much of it showing. I usually use one that is 4" larger so that there is a good sized lip, but if you are looking for a seamless appearance use one that is the same size. that way it's sturdy and you don't really see it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 14

Do you mean a single-legged pedestal (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=368812011) or a 4-legged plateau (like this one: http://www.weddingcakestand.net/designer_cake_stands.html ).

the single legged one .... no way.
The 4-legged one: I did it all the time.

dressageviolist Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 14

Indydebi: It is the four legged one, and I probably should have specified that. Thank you for replying, because like everyone else, I really value your input! When you say you "did" it all the time, do you do something different now?

Thanks for the drum board ideas. If I don't transport it on the pedestal, I will definitely do it that way.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 14

Oh yeah, 4 legged one is totally fine for transporting on. Makes the cake slightly more top heavy so watch those fast stops but they are pretty darn sturdy. As for the single legged debate, I WILL transport on them (if the customer is using this, they don't want the look of a foil board sitting on top of it. I put the whole thing in a box very close to the same size as the pedestal then TIGHTLY make up the difference with rolled towels. It's very sturdy this way and you can transport like regular at this point.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 14

Oh yeah, 4 legged one is totally fine for transporting on. Makes the cake slightly more top heavy so watch those fast stops but they are pretty darn sturdy. As for the single legged debate, I WILL transport on them (if the customer is using this, they don't want the look of a foil board sitting on top of it. I put the whole thing in a box very close to the same size as the pedestal then TIGHTLY make up the difference with rolled towels. It's very sturdy this way and you can transport like regular at this point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%