Should I Agree To Teach A Class?

Business By MissKendra Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm by MimiFix

MissKendra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissKendra Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 7

I live in a fairly small town (population 18,000) and am doing very well with my cake business. Today I recieved an email from the owner of a local, upscale kitchen/home store here in town. They hold cooking classes on a bi-weekly basis and they are very popular. They've invited me to teach a class on cupcakes. I am very flattered, but a bit on the fence as to whether I should do it or not.

I do a lot of business selling cupcakes. I've spent a great deal of time perfecting my recipes and do not want to teach anyone how to make the cupcakes they might otherwise purchase from me. However, these classes are very well advertised and it could be an opportunity for me to get some free publicity.

Should I decline? Or should I offer to teach something like "grown-up" cupcakes (baking with liquor) since that is something I'm not currently offering to my customers?

Any ideas/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 7

Why don't you teach a class on decorating cupcakes instead of baking. If you provide the prebaked cupcakes, everyone gets to taste your fabulous work but you're not giving away trade secretsicon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:26am
post #3 of 7

I agree with sillywabbitz, ask if you can provide the cuppies and teach decorating. If not then I wouldn't want to teach my customer pool how to make their own.

Good luck

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7

It's completely reasonable for you not to give out your recipes. If the store requests that, you would have to decline their classes, no question.

But, if it's just for decorating it sounds like a good opportunity. People like to learn decorating but not everyone can do what you do. They'll try it at home and if it doesn't come easily, they'll likely just abandon it and will buy their cupcakes from you. It's always good to be seen as a expert - it can't hurt your business!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 7

Once I was asked to give a demo on decorating cakes. I had the same ?s in mind that you have possed. What I did was show 'home' type decorating. Like how to smooth icing; make a wax paper stencil; use powered sugar to decorate an iced cake; how to color powdered sugar; very easy things. Maybe something like that would be good for you.
I would NOT give out my recipes for sure! Maybe give them the *original* WASC recipe icon_smile.gif Then show how to take one batch of batter and divide it into like 3-4 different flavors by adding things like jam, flavorings, cocoa, well chopped nuts, whatever. Take a cue from Cupcake wars - show a few things that are *really* out side the box as to flavors.
Good luck and please dolet us know what you deceide.

MissKendra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissKendra Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 7

You guys are the best! For weeks now I've been telling my husband about this wonderful site. When I got the invite to teach the class the first thing I told him was "I'll have to ask on the cake board what they think!" LOL

I talked to the owner this morning and I'm actually going to teach TWO classes. LOL I'm going to teach a decorating class this spring and this fall I'm going to teach a "booze-infused" class. What kind of sealed the deal for me is that 1) I don't have to give up my cupcake recipes and 2) I get a $50 gift certificate for their store for each class I teach! WOOT! LOL

Thanks again!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Is that a $50 gift certificate in addition to an hourly rate? I hope they are paying you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%