Customer Cancelled Because Of Where I Live!!!

Business By sari66 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 2:37am by RedRoxx

sari66 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 37

So I booked a tasting for an hour ago and I just got an email for the woman stating she didn't feel comforatable stopping at my house!!! icon_sad.gif WTF!! I've never had anyone say they felt uncomfortable coming here as I live on a fairly busy street with a church in front of Me and the hospital on the other end of the street! icon_rolleyes.gif Needless to say I just sent her a polite email saying good luck with her wedding and deleting her emails!!!

sari

36 replies
Dayti Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 37

Maybe she was just uncomfortable visiting you in your home? I mean, did she actually say she wasn't comfortable going to your area of town, or just your house? Perhaps meeting here in a coffee shop in your area, instead of your home, or somewhere convenient for you both, would have been an option?

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 37

Do you have a cottage business or a licensed home business, or a separate commercial kitchen? Maybe that was the deal and not the neighborhood? Maybe she is a germophobe and thinks commercial places are cleaner than home kitchens?

sari66 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 37

No, she said it was the area of town. I have it on my website that I work from home and tell them if they don't feel comfortable with this we can meet elsewhere. I believe that she drove past my house twice before sending the email.

donnlara Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 37

I like your reply to her, sounds very much like someone that might have been very hard to please.

DeniseNH Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 37

Sometimes they use really lame excuses not to meet with you - but what really happened is that they found someone else and don't know how to tell you.

sari66 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 37

Who knows why ppl do what they do. Anyway my partner said maybe she was afraid someone would break into the house and steal her cake before the wedding! LOL
I've moved on to the next bride icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 37

Some people just don't like to go with bakers who work from their homes. I had a client tell methat she went to another baker's location, saw that it was her house, and didn't even go in. I was sitting there thinking "well, I work from home, I just happen to be meeting you in the office that I rent with 5 other people for consults." Duh...

cakegrandma Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 37

As I read your posting I took it to say that you were to have the tasting an hour ago and she sent the message to you in the time just before or a few minutes after the appointed time. Did I read correctly? If so then I say like you did, Good Luck to her. If she waited until then to let you know she did not feel comfortable meeting you at your home then I also feel that she may have been a picky witch. You may want to state in future emails that you can meet them at such and such place for their convenience, maybe that will instill some perception of safety, cleanliness or whatever else they can think of. Glad you are going onto the next bride, whoever that may be, you're better of without this one although the money is difficult to miss. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

mcaulir Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

So I booked a tasting for an hour ago and I just got an email for the woman stating she didn't feel comforatable stopping at my house!!! icon_sad.gif WTF!! I've never had anyone say they felt uncomfortable coming here as I live on a fairly busy street with a church in front of Me and the hospital on the other end of the street! icon_rolleyes.gif Needless to say I just sent her a polite email saying good luck with her wedding and deleting her emails!!!

sari

Maybe it was a parking issue? Otherwise I've got nothing.

sari66 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #11 of 37

cakegrandma, she emailed Me from her car as she stated she was on my street when she called Me to ask the color of my house! I was bummed but after a bit I got over it icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 37

Maybe it was your landscaping? Diapered, dirty children running in your sprinkler? Car up on blocks in your lawn? Paint peeling? Did it look like a yard sale on your front porch? Maybe you could look at your house from the street and see if you have any room for improvement? I'm sure you're not white trash like me, lol, but there may be something she was sensitive to. Or maybe she is just an idiot?

I am putting in a commercial bakery in my garage and I am very sensitive to the lawn. I mow it before consultaions and it kills me that my husband has a half pipe in our side yard (30' x 12' and 5' high). I have the mower, a wheel barrow, lumber, portable fire pit, piles of dirt from our pool being dug, dead plants, and toys scattered everywhere currently. And bikes and scooters and a power wheels jeep and mini ramps in the driveway. I told my husband if he can't keep the yard looking better, he is going to have to build me a privacy fence to hide it all behind!! It is so sorry looking. Oh, my grass came up patchy this year, also, so we have mud puddles. And our wooden playset needs pressured washed and sealed again. And the house is a dingy blue grey that looks faded, but it isn't, it came that color, the buckets of paint for touch-ups are in the basement. UGLY! So we will be repainting the house as well. After he is done helping me in the garage, he is going to have to do something about it all, while I get ready to open!

all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 37

I'm sorry your feelings got hurt but, I'm glad you were able to get over it. Neeeeext...

(another reason not to do in-house tastings...deliver samples, if they want to continue it's a $50 reserve the date fee, schedule consult (what's she gonna do then...she'll feel more comfortable showing up to the consult than she would giving up the $50 bucks to cancel it), deliver cake...done.

conchita Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:

Who knows why ppl do what they do. Anyway my partner said maybe she was afraid someone would break into the house and steal her cake before the wedding! LOL
I've moved on to the next bride icon_smile.gif

LOL you are so funny, well things happen for a reason and you are proabably better off with out making this cake. she was proabably a very hard customer to please. icon_smile.gif

cheriej Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 37

I agree with others that you are better off. It seems strange she would be on your street and call from her car to cancel but whatever. It doesn't sound like the neighborhood given what you describe. Whatever her reason, you are better off with other clients.

sari66 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 37

Annabakes, LOL you are too funny! I keep the yard raked before guests come and it does need lots of landscaping but that is on my list for this year as I've only owned the house for a year.
If it was the yard then she was too high maintence for Me! Probably a PITA to boot icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:

Annabakes, LOL you are too funny! I keep the yard raked before guests come and it does need lots of landscaping but that is on my list for this year as I've only owned the house for a year.
If it was the yard then she was too high maintence for Me! Probably a PITA to boot icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Same here, we got he keys April 1st, last year, and moved in 3 weeks later. It is the biggest yard in the whole neighborhood, and that is a mixed blessing! Everybody who has tiny lawns have perfect thick grass and twirly shaped bushes, I have dandelions and clover. And some weird tree that blooms white and has this weird, earthy.....seminal-type smell. It is horrible, but the only tree, so I can't bear to chop it down.

I agree about her being too high maintenece and a PITA!

sari66 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 37

I have the biggest yard too! I'm on the corner lot and the previous tentants used the front yard as a parking lot! so all of that has to be reseeded and a walkway added. My office is where the clients come in through the backdoor which has the walkway and the driveway. My mission is to kill the clover!! lol it looks like some weird mini forest on the lawn!!

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 37

We are in a cul-de-sac, and have a corner. It is weird, but it is like if you took a square cake, cut a big round hole in the middle and sliced it in 4 wedges. One wedge would be our yard, lol. The front yard is tiny, but you can see the side yard up the block, when you turn the corner. My neighbor to the left mows her lawn ever other day, whether it needes it or not, lol! She is mowing right now! So her perfect lawn makes mine look awful!

I just tell people I like the clover and dandelion so the bees can make honey! Bees are few and far between in the midwest. We had a radio advisory a couple hundred times last year advising bees were in a shortage, and we shouldn't kill them.

The parking lot sounds lovely, lol!

mombabytiger Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 11:54am
post #20 of 37

I don't think I would feel safe having perfect strangers to my home. I would meet clients in a public place. You never know what nut job will show up at your house.

Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:04pm
post #21 of 37

There are so many scammers and scary things going on, I guess I can understand that in our day. I used to do tastings at my house but I stopped because my kids were making it difficult. (My very last tasting...I was doing a wedding tasting and I thought my toddler was in a nap and the other boys gone with my husband....but right in the middle of my tasting my toddler woke up with a VERY poopy diaper everywhere...this was a couple years ago now...and the entire house started to smell like poop when the lady was trying to taste cake! She did not book even though I apologized profusely, and I vowed never to have another tasting at my house! I have them at a coffee shop now.)

I do have some cake pickups at my house but now since I'm taking larger orders, I end up doing more deliveries than pickups, which is fine with me because it does seem more professional.

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 37

[quote="Kitagrl"]........(My very last tasting...I was doing a wedding tasting and I thought my toddler was in a nap and the other boys gone with my husband....but right in the middle of my tasting my toddler woke up with a VERY poopy diaper everywhere...this was a couple years ago now...and the entire house started to smell like poop when the lady was trying to taste cake!.......quote]

Mmm! Don't you just love the smell of poop when you are trying to eat cake? Do you think LorAnn bottles that? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I still deal with poopy diapers, my latest son turned 2 yesterday, we take them outside immeadiately and spray air freshener like crazy. My husband is here if I have a tasting, but he would most likely walk us though the changing, telling how much poop, how close the poop was to the edge of his diaper, what color and consistency the poop was, and how many wipes it took to get it all off his hiney, how much the diaper weighed, and then waft the poopy diaper right under their noses after it was changed!!! He is not afraid of poop!

I am really glad we are converting the garage and that we will have a separate area in there for tastings and consultations. And we have a big door between the garage and the house.

kellertur Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #23 of 37

Our state and city health inspectors have said that home bakeries are often times cleaner than resturant kitchens. icon_eek.gif Have you ever peaked inside a commercial kitchen and seen sweaty workers, fingers in/on the face, etc? I have...and I've found hair in food from MANY high scale places.

Commerical kitchens usually don't offer a kitchen tour before they prepare your food. If I were using a home baker, I'd definitely want to meet at the baker's house and verify the kitchen was CLEAN! It's also not a bad idea to take a peak in their bathroom...how someone maintains their bathroom speaks VOLUMES about their overall hygiene. icon_surprised.gif

I'm fortunate to have a husband that takes my daughter outside when I have tastings or entertains her upstairs (never had a problem). I always make sure he's home when strangers are in our home, I don't take those chances.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchen

Our state and city health inspectors have said that home bakeries are often times cleaner than resturant kitchens. icon_eek.gif Have you ever peaked inside a commercial kitchen and seen sweaty workers, fingers in/on the face, etc? I have...and I've found hair in food from MANY high scale places.

Commerical kitchens usually don't offer a kitchen tour before they prepare your food. If I were using a home baker, I'd definitely want to meet at the baker's house and verify the kitchen was CLEAN! It's also not a bad idea to take a peak in their bathroom...how someone maintains their bathroom speaks VOLUMES about their overall hygiene. icon_surprised.gif

So...if commercial kitchens do not allow tours...why should a home baker? You just said home bakers are usually cleaner, anyway.... and obviously licensed home bakers have passed some sort of inspection.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:45am
post #25 of 37

Oh, and by the way...hair happens...LOL...it doesn't mean you are dirty! I'm very clean...I keep my hair back...I lint roller my clothes...and still...hair happens. thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #26 of 37

I did not say that the hair was dirty. I just don't appreciate pulling it out of my mouth. icon_cry.gif

I may be misinterpreting the tone of your message. It's not an attack on commercial kitchens, if that's what was inferred. Home bakers can do what they want, I offer home tastings because it works for me, and I want my customers to see my kitchen. I only bake when my family is asleep so I can put the kitchen on LOCK DOWN.
Your avatar cake is really pretty. I love black, white & red!

scp1127 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:45am
post #27 of 37

If you have a separate kitchen, post pictures of your kitchen on your "About Us" page, along with a copy of your HD permit and insurance certificate. This should show that you are legit and professional. My bakery is decorated as if it was a storefront and shows well in pictures. It's just for me, my daughters, a few nieces, and an occasional client, but it is a great work environment. For a few hundred dollars and a few cans of paint, you can make the inside professional while you work on the outside. For places where you can bake from your home kitchen, pictures of your clean, orderly, kitchen could serve the same purpose.

People do not like to go to places that are unfamiliar. That is why car dealerships give away oil changes. If you have been there before, you are more likely to return when your car needs a repair rather than go to someplace unfamiliar. The pictures on the site will help to make your bakery "familiar" to potential cients. They will know what to expect.

lorieleann Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 7:00am
post #28 of 37

i think that customers can have expectations on what kind of 'experience' they want when making a purchase like a wedding cake. Sure there are going to be some that are result-minded and can focus purely on the best cake for the best price. But others are going to want to be wooed and dazzled, because they truly enjoy the planning process and they get wrapped up in the fairy tale of wedding planning.

It's probably similar to going to a hair dresser's home for a cut and style vs. going to a sleek salon with an espresso bar and complementary reflexology massage while you get a 10 minute shampoo. You can get the same haircut, but the packaging is much more pampering at the salon. At least the drive-by customer knew enough about what she was expecting not to waste the time of the OP when she knew that it wasn't what she was looking for.

all4cake Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 12:51pm
post #29 of 37

A previous post made me think, is it possible she didn't know/realize that you were a home-based business?

I have that posted on my website but some get the contact info from the phone book or other sources (like all those wonderful online resource sites that have gathered their info from public sources like the phone book which, btw, was NOT supposed to list my physical address but did anyway...it's obvious who the confused passersby are...sloooooooooooooow) that doesn't give that information.

Just a thought is all

Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchen

I did not say that the hair was dirty. I just don't appreciate pulling it out of my mouth. icon_cry.gif

I may be misinterpreting the tone of your message. It's not an attack on commercial kitchens, if that's what was inferred. Home bakers can do what they want, I offer home tastings because it works for me, and I want my customers to see my kitchen. I only bake when my family is asleep so I can put the kitchen on LOCK DOWN.
Your avatar cake is really pretty. I love black, white & red!

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood the tone of your message. icon_smile.gif

My house was clean enough for tastings but with the kids its just too much to worry about. Plus the house is not ours...if it were, I'd pay to have a garage made into a cake shop. haha. But since its not our house, I have to deal with what we have for now....and it works. thumbs_up.gif I sure do wish I could have home tastings though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%