What To Charge?

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 10 Jun 2013 , 1:57pm by jason_kraft

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 10

A friend of mine is getting married, she has decided on a cake. Now I have to try to figure out what to charge her. The cake will have 3 different fillings and 3 different flavors. And needs to serve 150 people

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3UEY2HviO0I/TV88Nj_IfBI/AAAAAAAAR4Q/vnvWrVLzMns/s1600/chrystal%2Bb-s.l.ss.butterfly%2Bwedding.jpg

9 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 10

Is it fondant or butter cream?

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 10

What would you normally charge?
Pricing a wedding cake is no different then pricing a non-wedding cake, cake is cake regardless when or where it is served.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 10

Since she's a friend, I'd tell her to get a written quote from a local bakery and I'd do it for half the quotethe other half would be her wedding gift. That way, if she changes her mind and wants 7 tiers or increases her guest list, she still has to pay for half of the new bid.

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 10

She wants the cake in Buttercream. Fondant butterflies, and she bought a cake topper. I was thinking $2.50 a slice.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 10

Unlimited, that's a great idea! Thanks!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:38am
post #7 of 10

Unlimited..I like your idea too!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 10

A

Original message sent by Unlimited

Since she's a friend, I'd tell her to get a written quote from a local bakery and I'd do it for half the quotethe other half would be her wedding gift. That way, if she changes her mind and wants 7 tiers or increases her guest list, she still has to pay for half of the new bid.

That may den like a good idea. What if the other bakery isn't comparable to you? What if they charge way less? Also remember that you will be wasting someone else's time, energy, & hard work. Someone else will be getting their hopes up about a possible order. Not nice when they have no shot.

You could price it out and show her what YOU would charge someone else, still give her a 50% discount, and not risk huge price difference and waste someone's time.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 10

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

That may den like a good idea. What if the other bakery isn't comparable to you? What if they charge way less? Also remember that you will be wasting someone else's time, energy, & hard work. Someone else will be getting their hopes up about a possible order. Not nice when they have no shot.

You could price it out and show her what YOU would charge someone else, still give her a 50% discount, and not risk huge price difference and waste someone's time.

My thoughts exactly

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 10

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

I agree that just looking at the price at other bakeries is not enough. You need to take into account your costs (check the pricing formula link in my signature for more info), and make sure you can legally charge for cakes in the first place since some states require a health inspection first.

I wouldn't worry about getting the bakery's hopes up though, quoting orders is a cost of doing business. When I wasn't sure what the market value was for a product I would get quotes from different bakeries in the area (assuming the prices were not listed on the bakery's web site).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%