Fondant Help

Decorating By spots4u Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm by spots4u

spots4u Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! this is my first post here so ANY help is appreciated. Last night I did a fondant layer cake with rice crispy treat figure covered in fondant on top of it.
I have to deliver the cake later this afternoon.

How to I keep the fondant from cracking in the next 6 hours or so? I have to trasnport it about 1 mile away...

I've seen a cake a fondant covered cake once that seemed shiny. I overheard some one say they sprayed it with PAM butter flavor baking spray. I don't want to ruin my cake BEFORE it even gets to it's destination.

Any suggestions on or knowledge about the PAM trick? (i.e. when do I do it, does it sit under a light? really am clueless about the fondant)...

thank you all in advance icon_smile.gif

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 3

Why would your fondant crack? This is a problem I'm not familiar with and I've made a lot of fondant covered cakes!

IF you want your cake to be shiny, you can hit it with a garment steamer. Or, you can use a paper towel to brush on a VERY thin coat of vegetable oil. I wouldn't spray the cake with Pam. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. icon_smile.gif

spots4u Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 3

thank you for the tip. I have had fondant that cracked before. I dont really know why, it's been a while since I've played with fondant.

I guess I won't put anything on it then. I don't necessarily need it to be shiny. I just thought that coating it would keep it pliable like when I first put it on.

Thanks for answering me...I appreciate the help!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%