What Have You Used Instead Of Styrofoam For Dummy Tiers Or

Decorating By Foxicakes Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 10:44pm by SucreSucre

Foxicakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:44am
post #1 of 5

separators?
I am making a cake for my daughter's 18th and wanted to do something like a 9 in followed by a 4 inch dummy done in the billowing that is all the rave right now, followed by a 6 inch double barrel on top.
My question is this...
Have you ever used anything else besides styrofoam and covered it and decorated it like a cake tier??
If you've read any of my previous posts, you know I am all about using materials that weren't exactly designed for cake decorating. To be honest, (okay, don't laugh) I am thinking of using a lightweight can that Gerber baby snacks come in. It is about 4 inches in diameter by 4 inches high and I am just thinking I would cover it with fondant then do the billowing technique on top of that and use that as my separator/dummy tier. . . or is thinking I can get away with that make ME the "dummy"? icon_smile.gif
I know that attaching it to the rest of the cake may be an issue, but if I cover the top and bottom with stiff foam core, I believe I can attach to that with RI under the top tier and just hammer two long dowels down the center of the cake a few inches apart to attach to the bottom.
If anyone has any other ideas about materials to use, I am definitely open to them!!
Thanks in advance!!

Oh, by the way, I believe that I will be using one of the techniques I've talked about before on one of the tiers. I use embossed wall paper to emboss fondant. It works very similar to a fondant mat. This is wall paper that I got for free as a sample from Home Depot

4 replies
Elcee Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

I made a topper out of an empty cardboard ribbon spool (couldn't find the 3" size I wanted in styrofoam) and a 1/2 of a styrofoam ball once. It worked great and I still have it. I've also carved a baseball glove out of pound cake and then coated it with watered down craft glue to turn it into a "dummy" and I've used a "form cake" recipe that's kind of non-edible cake.

I can't really envision the can you're using but 4" styrofoam discs are pretty cheap and readily available so I can't figure out why you don't want to use it.

Foxicakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 5

Elcee
I would use it, but I couldn't find a 4in round by 4 in tall. You're right, though, I have found the 4in (diameter) discs. I guess I was just trying to think outside the box and find something that was already the right size. I may just go ahead and use the foam discs and glue them together.
As for the form cake that you were talking about, is it easy to make? And can it be carved? If so, would you mind sharing the recipe?? Thanks!!

Elcee Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 5

The recipe is in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-705160-0-days0-orderasc-.html&sid=3cb14496f0e9692be66c83316dde5738

I trimmed the top of one of mine and it was really hard! I almost cut myself and so didn't recommend carving it. What I didn't think of at the time I posted that recommendation was that my cakes were already a few days old. Maybe they're carvable when they're fresher.

Your daughter's cake sounds like it'll be great!

SucreSucre Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

I've used paper mache hat boxes, and other paper mache containers before for dummy cakes. When ever they have them on sale at Hobby Lobby, I pick up a few. They work well when I want to do a dummy cake that is more modern b/c the sizes aren't a standard 4" high like most other dummies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%