Picking A Turntable

Decorating By mbeals Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm by imagenthatnj

mbeals Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 19

I apologize if this is a repeat question. I searched but didn't find a good answer.

My wife is a budding baker with ambitions of starting her own bakery. Through word of mouth, she has started to slowly get a reputation around her work and gets orders for cakes from time to time. She has slowly collected most of the equipment, but the one thing she is really lacking is a quality turn table.

Her birthday is a coming up in a few weeks, so I figure it is a a good time to get one for her. I want to find a professional grade turn table that will stand up to real use. Right now I'm considering a fat daddio unit, but before I spend the money, I wanted to confer with people who know their stuff and make sure I get the right thing.

I definitely want a stand that is heavy enough to handle large cakes, but she never makes sheet cakes, so a square top is not necessary. I would also really like to find one that tilts, but those seem to be hard to find (except for the cheap Wilton's one). She works a lot with ganache too, so it would be really helpful to be able to take the top off so she can put the cake in the fridge without having to fit the entire turn table.

any help or advice you can give would be awesome. I live in a remote area, so the only store that carries cake stuff within 6 hours is walmart....so I'm going to have to order without seeing it in person.

18 replies
CWR41 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 19
cake_architect Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:33am
post #3 of 19

i got errors on all of those links :/

mbeals that is such a nice gift! i'm sorry i can't be of much help (all i use is a cheap wilton one) but i'm sure some one on here will be able to get you a good answer. best of luck!

CWR41 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:07am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

i got errors on all of those links

Me too! (I edited to add different threads... hope they work!)

mbeals Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 19

thanks guys. When I searched last night, none of those came up. Guess I should have searched for "turntable" in the title and not the message body.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of threads and have my decision down to two tables. It's either going to be the fat daddio or I'm going to get 2 base plates and the adapter from cake stackers (http://www.cakestackers.com/cake-decorating-turntable.html).

Anyone have experience with these two? I'm kind of leaning towards the fat daddio because of the ball bearings, its weight and its height, but it also seems that the cake stackers setup could be more versatile with the ability to change the table size, and would probably make it easier for her to move the cake back and forth between the table and the fridge.

mbeals Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 19

Well I decided on the fat daddio...until I went to buy it. It was $60 on amazon with free shipping (if you are a prime member), but that turned out to be out of stock until further notice. Everybody else was charging $20+ in shipping, which was just too much.

So instead, based on some other reviews here, I decided on the Ateco 612 stand instead.

thanks for all your help

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 19

I guess I'm a little late! But I used to have an Ateco cast iron...recently I got a Fat Daddio. There are things I like about both models so you really cannot go wrong with either choice!!!! What a great hubby and a great gift!

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 19
mbeals Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I have this one; it is great, reversible, and cleans up easily.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18540&name=Decorators%20Delight%2010%20x%2014%20High

Cheaper at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A02TR4/?tag=cakecentral-20

thanks for the recommendation. I actually looked at that one, but decided against it because she never does sheet cakes (and I'm not sure we would have a place to store something that large).

On the Ateco stand, does the top just have an aluminum rod that sits in a bushing in the stand? I could never find any images of it online besides that one stock photo that is on the company's website.

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 19

Yes the Ateco one is a metal plate with a long pointed peg that fits into the cast iron base, rotating smoothly.

I had mine for several years....loved it! And then I bought a different insert (for doing styrofoam dummies, its pronged) and somehow I think the insert had a slightly thicker pin or something, and threw off the balance of my old one...which is why I bought a Fat Daddio recently.

The Fat Daddio one is almost TOO heavy...so in general I'd probably still recommend the Ateco one. Very nice!

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 19

There might be better photos of some of the stands here.

http://www.pastrychef.com/Cake-Decorating_c_35.html

mbeals Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #12 of 19

So the weight of the cake rides on the end of the post?

I'll probably just have to wait and take a look, but I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to machine some custom posts to let me use cake stackers base plates with the base.

crushed Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #13 of 19

I bought the Ateco turntable and am absolutely over the moon about it. She'll love it.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #14 of 19

http://www.fantes.com/images/8019icing-tools.jpg

The above is a picture of the dummy pronged attachment that I had purchased for mine. The pin at the base is exactly like the one on the turntable plate, except of course its a plate instead of prongs.

There is a hole inside the cast iron base that perfectly fits the pin and allows it to move smoothly.

Eventually over time it can slowly wear down unevenly and cause the turntable not to work as perfectly as it does when new...and like my pronged attachment did wear down my base to where it did not spin my plate properly....BUT we are talking years.....this turntable will last your wife a long time. If I had not purchased the pronged attachment, my turntable would probably still be working great right now and I've had it at least 6-7 years.

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #15 of 19

Cake Stackers sells the posts. I have the turntable system from them too. I just never used it because I didn't like it. Go to their website and look for turntable.

mbeals Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:55am
post #16 of 19
Quote:

Cake Stackers sells the posts. I have the turntable system from them too. I just never used it because I didn't like it. Go to their website and look for turntable.

I was looking at them too before deciding on the ateco. Funny thing is that I could not find ANY posts or reviews about their turntable attachment... I figured if it really was that great, I would be able to find something about it. Looks like I made the right call. IF you don't mind me asking, what about don't you like?

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 19

mbeals, I'm a little bit of a snob when it comes to stuff. I work in graphic design, so somehow in your head, things have to be pretty at the same time that they're totally functional. I research this stuff to death. lol

So I really wanted this turntable set because I thought I could it take it apart, totally functional, many parts to it so that I could do anything! I'm only a hobby baker, but I want to be ready for anything. You'll never hear from me that I'll never make a sheet cake because chances are someone in my family will want one some day, and what I am going to do without a big turntable?

http://www.cakewheel.com/

I emailed the owner of that, and never got an answer. I never got anyone who has gotten that table so I couldn't read any reviews. So I had to do without it.

Then I thought about Cake Stackers, and since it wasn't too much money, I ordered that turntable system. As soon as I opened it, I didn't like it. It is made of aluminum and yes, the plates were thick, but when I touched the outside edges, they were rough. I thought if I didn't watch it, I would cut my fingers. Plus, the plates are put on top of a skinny tiny cylinder. I didn't like that either.

So I put it away, and continued my quest. That's how I ended up with that reversible one I have.

The Ateco one was my third choice. But that kind is just one pedestal and one plate. And again, I wanted something with lots of "turning power," lots of bearings to smoothly roll around. And something sturdy like formica, and thick.

There's not one perfect turntable out there!! I wish there was one that tilts too, but that's the cheap Wilton!

infinitsky Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:

... I wish there was one that tilts too, but that's the cheap Wilton!

Check this one. I do not own it, and do not know how it works, but I purchased a few times from this site and everything they sell is profesional and good quality.

http://www.pastrychef.com/CAKE-DECORATING-TILTING-TURNTABLE_p_1035.html

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you infinitsky. I've actually seen that one. That's my favorite shop to buy stuff from. They have "chef" stuff that I haven't seen in other places, so I buy there frequently, or at least get ideas!

I put that link before on this thread...lol

I forgot about the PME tilting one. Making a screenshot now so that I don't spend more time searching for one when I need one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%