Margarine Instead Of Butter In Nfsc

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 1:13am by Cookies4kids

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:57am
post #1 of 7

With the price of butter going sky high, I wondered if anyone used margarine instead of butter in the NFSC recipe and what your results were. If so what is the best brand to use.
Thanks so much.

6 replies
zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #2 of 7

I think IndyDebbie uses margarine in hers, Imperial brand. I've tried it but I really still like butter better. Find I need more flour with margarine so the cookie dough stays firm.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, I do. Like "scratch or mix", using butter or magarine is a lot of personal taste and what you may be used to. Growing up really poor, my mom would NEVER spend "big money" on butter when margarine worked fine. So when I had my first taste of real butter (teenager? early 20's?) I thought it was the nastiest stuff I ever tasted! icon_lol.gif

But .... since I grew up using nothing but margarine, it was almost habit that I picked up the margarine for all of my cooking/baking. There are differences, like some have a higher water content than others (I believe Blue Bonnet is one of those culprits!) and using "spreads" will definitely affect the recipe.

Yes, (Imperial) margarine will work fine, but as with all things, you need to give it shot and see how it works for you! thumbs_up.gif I suggest making a batch and letting some friends or family taste test it .... dont' tell them what change you made, but tell them you are trying a new recipe and ask what they think, to get some true feedback. icon_smile.gif

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #4 of 7

I just made this recipe wilth Fleischman's unsalted margarine with very good results. I use this quite often since I need to avoid dairy in most of my recipes. Good luck.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

Most margarines have milk products in them. If you want dairy free you'll have to look for vegan margarine.

If you read the ingredients, Fleischman's has whey in it... which is the liquid left over when milk is curdled to make cheeses and such.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:46am
post #6 of 7

i use sticks of parkay butter. or imperial...which ever is the cheapest when i go to buy it. they turn out so well!!!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%