Arizona Members- Check Out The New Food Cottage Bill

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 3:31am by chassidyg

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 99

Hi all,
I've been keeping up with a new food cottage bill in Arizona. It has already passed the House ( overwhemlemly I might add icon_biggrin.gif ) and is currently about to go into the third reading of the Senate.
It's called HB2103.

PLEASE, PLEASE send a letter or email to Rep Kavanaugh of the House of Representatives. [email protected] or
House of Representatives
1700 W. Washington
Room 114
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone Number: (602) 926-5170

He is the one sponsoring this bill. As is Will Humble who is the Director of the Arizona Dept of Health Services. Both of these men have spoken directly in front of the board/panel are are very pro this bill.

The more people we can get behind them, the better! Here is a copy of the bill as of now. Scroll down to page 4 for the highlighted section in blue.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/5.....b2103h.pdf

If half of the United States already has a food cottage law, and they do....certainly Arizona should be next in line!!!

You can write to any or all of the senators to help move along this bill to the govenor! Here is a link to contact any of them: http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=S

I do not know when they'll be meeting again but it will be very soon.

KimAZ

98 replies
KimAZ Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:36am
post #2 of 99

Here is the link to another thread about this subject.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-707392-.html

KimAZ

sussy19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sussy19 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:20am
post #3 of 99

find the[url=http://www.distancebetweencities.us/] or any two places using Google maps. The calculated distance will be shown in miles and kilometers.

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 99

This is very exciting news! Thanks for sharing the info, Kim! icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 99

Below is what has been defined/amended so far for this bill as of today. It is in the Senate as I type this so I'll be updating as soon as they post it.

Limits the exemption to baked and confectionary goods that are prepared in a home for commercial purposes.

Requires the label of the product to be given to the products final consumer.

Requires the label, if the product was prepared in a facility for developmentally disabled individuals, to disclose that fact.

Requires DHS to establish an on-line registry of exempt food or drink preparers who are exempt from regulation pursuant to this legislation, and requires those preparers to register.

Requires all of the products ingredients, rather than contents, to be disclosed on the label.

Requires an exempt food or drink preparer to obtain a food handlers card or certificate only if the preparers local county issues such cards or certificates.

Defines potentially hazardous as products that meet the federal food safety guidelines developed by the United States Food and Drug Administration, which are modified and incorporated by DHS by rule.

KimAZ

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:02am
post #6 of 99

Today it passed the THIRD READING, from what I have read this was the last step before being turned over to the governor to be signed..

KimAZ Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #7 of 99

SWEET!!! Now it goes back to the house for final approval, then on to the govenor!

YEAH!

KimAZ

carathebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carathebaker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #8 of 99

OMG!! I am soooo deliriously happy I could cry!! Thanks very much for the update Kim

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #9 of 99

Wish we could see this is CA.....

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:22am
post #10 of 99

thanks Kim for the update.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:35am
post #11 of 99

sounds awesome....but what does it all mean? icon_smile.gif (maybe its just too late for me to wrap my brain around)

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:37am
post #12 of 99

icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:21am
post #13 of 99

Basically, WHEN icon_biggrin.gif this bill passes, it will mean that we will all be allowed to bake and sell our cakes from home -legally! No inspection, no license, no jumping through hoops, bending over backwards and standing on our head to do so!

There is a list of requirements and they are really simple and easy. Check out this link for more info: http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=HB2103&Session_ID=102

Click the "show adopted amendments" link and look at the first Senate adopted amendment for the latest rules.

Woohoo, we're on our way! thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:29am
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Basically, WHEN icon_biggrin.gif this bill passes, it will mean that we will all be allowed to bake and sell our cakes from home -legally! No inspection, no license, no jumping through hoops, bending over backwards and standing on our head to do so!

There is a list of requirements and they are really simple and easy. Check out this link for more info: http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=HB2103&Session_ID=102

Click the "show adopted amendments" link and look at the first Senate adopted amendment for the latest rules.

Woohoo, we're on our way! thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ

wow this is so cool! I am so happy for you guys, I wish we could do it in California. thumbs_up.gif

carathebaker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 99

What does DHS stand for? As in "Requires DHS to establish an on-line registry of exempt food or drink preparers who are exempt from regulation pursuant to this legislation, and requires those preparers to register."

glendaleAZ Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #16 of 99

DHS = I think, in this case, it's Department of Health Services.

KimAZ Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #17 of 99

Yes, DHS is Dept of Health Services.

KimAZ

carathebaker Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 99

So, are there any updates yet? And if passed, how many months before it takes effect?

ALSO . . .

does anyone know other than a food handler's license, and possibly a health card, if a peddler's license is required as well for selling at Farmers markets and coffeehouses?

KimAZ Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #19 of 99

No other updates yet. I don't know how long it will take to get to the Govenor's desk. However, once it does one of three things can happen.
She can sign it, veto it then it will go back to the House or if she does nothing, it automatically becomes law within 5 days.

I have a couple friends who do sell their baked goods at coffee houses and farmer's markets right now. I do know they are required some additonal paperwork to do so but I honestly have no idea what that is. They do already have licensed businesses though.

I'll be sure to post when I know more.

KimAZ

carathebaker Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #20 of 99

Thanks Kim!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:42pm
post #21 of 99

Thanks for posting this, Kim! I had no idea this was being passed - very exciting news!!

glendaleAZ Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:03am
post #22 of 99

I just sent an email to the Governor asking her to approve HB2103.

KimAZ Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 99

The bill was sent to the Govenor's office last night! I've been told that once she signs it, it will go into effect in 90 days.

Sorry, guess the research I found posted above is not correct as far as timing goes. But none the less, all looks AWESOME and we should all be able to start selling our baked goods from home this summer!

KimAZ

suepers Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 99

That is great news!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifjudge.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #25 of 99

this is so cool!

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #26 of 99

sweet! icon_wink.gif

carathebaker Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:00am
post #27 of 99

woohoo!!!!!!!!! Let the baking begin!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:02pm
post #28 of 99

This bill was signed by Gov. Brewer on 4/13/2011. It will become law in 90 days!!!!!!

suepers Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:04pm
post #29 of 99

Awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #30 of 99

Wooohooooo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%