Edible Markers?

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 9:22am by CakemummyCC

Coral3 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:16am
post #1 of 10

Are some brands of edible markers better than others?

In particlar I'm after some that are quite fine. I have some Wilton 'food writers' but find they are way too thick for what I need, and the colours are primitive. Looks like the alternatives are Kopykake, FooDoodler and Rainbow Dust brands (the Rainbow Dust brand is a lot more expensive) - what I'm wondering is if they are all much the same or are some better quality?

TIA icon_smile.gif

9 replies
cakesrock Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #2 of 10

Americolor are excellent! I won't ever use Wilton again. You can get the thinner tipped ones and they're great for writing.

Price Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #3 of 10

I agree, I like the Americolor

cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 10

I will third the americolor ones!!! :LOL:

nickshalfpint Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 10

I <3 the Americolor ones too! They are wonderful!!!!!!!

ajwonka Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #6 of 10

Americolor!

mo_gateaux Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #7 of 10

i prefer the americolor ones too. i needed a black marker to put the "tiffany & co" on my cake, and sent my boyfriend out when my wilton one wasn't doing what i wanted it to. i'm not sure about the other americolor colours, but the black comes out very strong (can't think of a better word), it doesn't appear watered down or like it's almost running out like the wilton one i have (which i've barely used, so really, there's no excuse!)

nickshalfpint Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:48am
post #8 of 10

mo_gateaux........same here! The Americolor black is like paint, it's awesome. I had the same problem with the wilton black pen )=

Coral3 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:58am
post #9 of 10

Looks like Americolor are the most popular...I'm wondering how fine the tip on them is though?

Has anyone used the Kopycake ones - they are double ended, so I'm assuming one end on those would be fine - ?

I do like the look of the tip on the Rainbow Dust ones... that's this one here: http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p503/burgundy-edible-food-pen but don't know anything about how good they are & of course they're the most expensive icon_rolleyes.gif

CakemummyCC Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:22am
post #10 of 10

I have used both the Kopykake pens and the Rainbow Dust ones. The Rainbow Dust pen is double sided. The fine tip was extremely fine and great for very small details, like facial features, but the thicker tip was not great to work with at all, so I wouldn't spend the extra money. I prefered the Kopykake pen, the tip wasn't as fine, but good enough for most uses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%