Bubbles Under Fondant

Decorating By bakerliz Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 6:42pm by Kitagrl

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 11

Sometimes when I cover my cakes in fondant, after they sit for a few hours, they develop a giant bubble under the fondant...and I mean GIANT icon_surprised.gif The bubbles are always on the side and have even been as big as 4 or 5 inches across. The bubble seems to appear out of nowhere. I tried popping them with a pin, and even when that works, half the time they come back! Does this ever happen to anyone else? Does anyone know how to stop it? TIA

10 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

It has only ever happened to me when I have chilled a cake prior to covering with fondant. Do you chill your cakes?

bakerliz Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 11

I do chill my cakes!! Do you know why that makes a difference?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 11

I chill my cakes always. Out of all my cakes its only happened a couple times, which is a couple times too many!

My theory has been that if you have a lot of air in your icing or filling...or have air pockets between your icing dam and filling OR icing dam and coat of icing...that as it warms to room temp the air has room to move around and it collects wherever there is a weak spot.

I just try to make sure there are no gaps anywhere, and that my icing has been firmly applied as best as possible, esp when you are doing your crumb coat. Not sure I'll ever know why it happens! I notice its between the cake AND the buttercream though...not between the buttercream and the fondant...so it has to be something coming from the cake or between the layers.

bakerliz Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 11

I've noticed the exact same thing...the bubble is behind the buttercream.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

I've noticed the exact same thing...the bubble is behind the buttercream.

I actually had one in a buttercream cake before...luckily was able to fix it before delivery.

Its scary having it in the back of your mind, wondering when or if it will happen!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 11

Happened to me several times with my skateboarding cake. I popped like 7 bubbles. NO LIE! I was getting soooo frustrated. Fortunately I was catching them as they were happening. It's really bad when you don't notice it until after your fondant has stretched a bit and gotten a little stiff. VERY hard to smooth it back down at that point. GRRRRR

The thing that scares me is that it could happen after my customers pick up while they are getting prepared for their event. Haven't gotten a call yet, but makes me nervous just the same.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

Happened to me several times with my skateboarding cake. I popped like 7 bubbles. NO LIE! I was getting soooo frustrated. Fortunately I was catching them as they were happening. It's really bad when you don't notice it until after your fondant has stretched a bit and gotten a little stiff. VERY hard to smooth it back down at that point. GRRRRR

The thing that scares me is that it could happen after my customers pick up while they are getting prepared for their event. Haven't gotten a call yet, but makes me nervous just the same.

Me too, cuz one time when it happened pretty severely was a shower I had attended myself. I caught it like 3 hours after I had originally set up the cake. I was like YIKES. The thing about that cake is I had thrown it together more quickly than I usually do, so it was a very good possibility I had carelessly allowed air to be trapped in the filling or crumb coat, etc....but it makes me wonder how many of my cakes have maybe developed an air bubble later and nobody told me?! I hope none!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 11

At least dummy cakes don't get air bubbles. ha ha ha

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 11

See I ganache all my cakes so it's a firm coating prior to fondant. There are never any gaps in the ganache before I apply the fondant. And as I say it has only ever happened to me once, when I put my cake in the fridge.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

See I ganache all my cakes so it's a firm coating prior to fondant. There are never any gaps in the ganache before I apply the fondant. And as I say it has only ever happened to me once, when I put my cake in the fridge.

No the gap would be coming from the filling, or from any air pockets between the filling and the icing or ganache dam around the edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%