Help Please! My Whisk Is Stuck On My Kitchen Aid Mixer

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 15 Dec 2016 , 5:50pm by KenBrown

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:01am
post #1 of 15

I used the Kitchen Aid tonight after not using it for a few months (due to ill health) and when I went to pull it apart to clean the whisk it wouldnt detach.

I tried pushing it up but it wont move at all!

Have tipped it upside down and put some oil around it to see if that will losed it. But I did notice that the top of the whisk looks like the metal has oxidised (if that makes sense)

Am not happy........ icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:50am
post #2 of 15

Maybe after letting it set after spraying it with non-toxic oil, try a butter knife (or a metal file, I have used a clean metal finger nail file for other things) to slide around the edges where it is stuck together. HTH.
Best Wishes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 15

Put some hot water on it, sometimes stuff gets up in there and makes the attachments stick.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 15

My paddle got stuck a while back - I filled the bowl to the top with warm soapy water and let it sit on the mixer for a while, and the paddle loosened right up. After I got it off, I cleaned the mixer head and paddle well and made sure they were completely dry before attempting to attach them again. I've had zero problems since then. Good luck!

love2travel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2travel Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 15

I filled my mixing bowl up to the top with soapy hot water and let it set for 5 minutes and it was stiff getting it off but it worked.  My advise always put your mixer attachment on when you are going to use it and not let it set on the mixer arm when not in use!  Great that I got it off. Thanks

VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 15

The dough hook was stuck to my KA after the first use.  I called KA and they told me to try warm compresses and also to try mineral oil. Neither worked. They replaced the machine for me as it was under warranty.  

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 15

I've only had mine stick temporarily due to something sticky on the post as well. I would try the warm soapy water soak first as well. 

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 15

WD40 and time.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:28am
post #9 of 15

Hmm. That sounds like it ought to be a line from a parody of the folk song, "Scarborough Fair."

I'd hold off on the WD40 until you're in an "if all else fails" state. And if you do have to fall back on it, be sure to get every last trace of the stuff out. Petroleum distillates, especially those light enough to make a good penetrating lubricant, are NOT "Good Eats."

handymama Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 15

I absolutely agree with getting all the WD40 cleaned off, but did you know its main ingredient is fish oil?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 15

i hope you have not left it upside down for too long

in some of the mixers i have used the oil leaks like crazy while laying down so it's maybe gonna drain out while upside down?

and then you're going to have some kind of melt down inside when you go to use it

maybe it was just a fluke in mine--it should be all sealed up in there but i'd get mine right side up asap

hope you get it resolved

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama 

I absolutely agree with getting all the WD40 cleaned off, but did you know its main ingredient is fish oil?

That seems rather unlikely, and sounds like an urban legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40#Formulation

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-05/st_whatsinside

On the other hand, it is quite true that early airplane engines were typically lubricated with castor oil, and emitted large amounts of it into the air around them, with the result that World War I fighter pilots typically had the usual effects of constant exposure to castor oil.

handymama Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 15

Checked it out and sure enough -- urban legend. Thanks James! However, I stand by it working and the need for thorough cleaning. When I bought my 20 qt. mixer it came with a dough hook absolutely welded on from product and guck. No amount of soap and water and wiggling and jiggling budged it a hair. WD40 and a few hours' waiting and life was good again. Cleaning was easy since I only sprayed at the join.

Cocomali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocomali Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 15

AMine also stuck after mixer blade left on & not used for a while. I put boiling water on cloth around spring & top of release mechanism & left for 5 minutes. It finally released. I agree about not leaving blades on mixer if not in use. I think make sure top of blades super clean before inserting.

KenBrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KenBrown Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 15

This happened to my wife's as well.

Spray some cleaner around the pin area. (windex to wd40 will do)

Grab your hair dryer and heat the shaft and pin area. (this will take some time)

Work it back and forth. (took about 5 minutes of heating and twisting)

: The heat expands the aluminum and allows your lubricant or cleaner to work into the corroded area.

:: Don't store attachments on the blender and keep the shaft lubricated while stored.

Got cookies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%