Hot Weather Is Killing My Cakes!

Decorating By mahal50881 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 8:43am by creating_cakes

mahal50881 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #1 of 6

I live in southeastern virginia and the past few weeks it's gone from 60's to 80's to 60's again overnight. It's ridiculous and it's killing my fondant and cakes. Just venting. I may give up cakes for the summer!

5 replies
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:00am
post #2 of 6

I know, I hate caking in the summer...however I refrigerate everything, no matter that helps as far as workability!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:01am
post #3 of 6

Try Indydebi's buttercream. Before I tried her recipe, any cakes I made between May and October were pretty much doomed to failure.

mahal50881 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:46am
post #4 of 6

I just found Dream whip and I'm getting ready to try Indydebi's recipe. I was a little put off that there was no butter in it, but if it works for the summer and still tasted delicious, I won't complain.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:38am
post #5 of 6

It does work for the summer. I hesitated before trying it too, but the dream whip does something to it that keeps it from feeling slimy when you eat it, the way that other all-crisco buttercreams I've tried sometimes do. It tastes good mom will sit there and eat it out of the mixing bowl with a spoon.

creating_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:43am
post #6 of 6

Can someone please advise me on the best way to use dream whip? I have the bulla one that you whip up but im wondering do I need to put a stabiliser in it? And should I add any flavours to it? Can the cake sit at room temp once iced? Any hints or tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%