Little Old Or No?

Business By aces413 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm by jason_kraft

aces413 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:46am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know if Delawareans can have home bakeries? First I thought we could, then I read that we don't have a Cottage Food Law (so I assumed we can't and I need to rent kitchen space), then I heard that people do bake from home legally in DE. ??? I know it's a teeny, seemingly useless state, but does anyone happen to know? Why does it seem like this information is on lock-down? haha. The internet has been useless to me on this topic.

I'd be really happy if it turned out that DE was super liberal...I've heard people on CC saying that they can have bakeries in apartments with cats! I have an apartment and 1 cat...but I'll totally understand if that's not okay. I'd love to save $, gas, and time by not having to rent a kitchen...

I found a kitchen I could potentially rent, but I have no idea how to negotiate hours and cost. Hopefully I don't have to. icon_wink.gif
I posted a question about that negotiation in the cupcake forum (I want to do cupcakes, primarily). I probably should have posted that here, in retrospect.

So, I'll stop rambling and say...can anyone help educate me?

4 replies
Maybaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

Thank you for your post! Unfortunately I do not have the answer but thanks because I have the same question!! I see people on facebook here in the state who do it but honestly i don't know. The information I've seen suggests No...but i cant seem to get a straight answer online or otherwise! Frustrating!! I make cupcakes too but my main product would be sculpted/fondant cakes. And I too am looking for a commercial kitchen to rent. I hope someone can provide us with some level of information!!!

raqgen Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 5

Finally I found people with the same questions as I have.I have been searching the internet as well and can't find any info. Frustrating!! Made me even considered moving to Pa where they have cottage food laws. Hope some one can provide some info.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 5

Why not call your local Health Department?

jason_kraft Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

There appears to be an application for an exemption from DE food safety laws (which do not allow food to be sold from a non-inspected location), but it seems to be geared toward temporary bake sales, and it may only be applicable for bake sales for charitable or religious organizations:

Contact information for all three counties in DE can be found on the form.

Quote by @%username% on %date%