I Hate My Cricut Cake!!!

Lounge By Lizmybit Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm by Rachie204

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #1 of 16

I've had it!!! I am so frustrated with this! I can never get it to work! I've tried rolling it super thin! I've done the freezer trick and in never works for me! Anyone have any other tricks to share? I need to cut letters out for a Cake tomorrow.

15 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:29am
post #2 of 16

What are you using in it? Fondant, gumpaste? I get really nice results with gumpaste, rolled thin enough you can see the lines on the mat through it, freezer for 15 minutes then cut right away. I had good luck with Wilton fondant too, but with my homemade MMF I never get the clean cuts.

Lizmybit Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:41am
post #3 of 16

I'm using Satin ice fondant. I'm pitting in the freezer for 15 min and then cutting. It's probably 7 minutes before I actually cut because it takes forever for me to figure out where the letters are. I need cricut cake for dummies class.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:53am
post #4 of 16

I can't get clean lines with Satin Ice either. I only have luck with the Wilton fondant. I assume because it dries harder? I roll it out and then just let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then cut. And I had to play with different pressure and speeds until I found one that worked for me.

witchfulthinking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witchfulthinking Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 16

I was getting annoyed with finding the letters also. I ended up writing the letters next to the design symbols on the page marked Plain Base. I can easily look and know that "K" is the Umbrella. I program it while the fondant is in the freezer and get it cut as soon as it comes out.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #6 of 16

My best tip is to mix in a tsp tylose per cup of fondant, roll out thin as a dime and LET SIT OVERNIGHT or at least 8 hours. Then it cuts beautifully. Also follow the tips...no lettering or fine art work under 3 inches. With some practice you will get it.

Cat

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #7 of 16

Also, make sure your blade is clean. I was having the worst time with it one day until I discovered i had forgot to clean the blade and there was dried fondant on it.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:12am
post #8 of 16

I have found fondariffic works best for me. Just roll, place on mat and cut. No freezing, no waiting.

Lizmybit Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #9 of 16

Thanks ladies. When you let it sit over night do you cover it or let it sit out?

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #10 of 16

I use satin ice in my cricut regularly and haven't had problems with it. If you're having trouble finding the letters, look for them and type them out while the fondant is in the freezer this way the fondant won't get soft when you're looking for the letters.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:33am
post #11 of 16

i use wilton fondant too but i don't freeze it or any thing, i just roll it on the mat, trim the sides and cut. maybe try adjusting the blade pressure? maybe someone can help me as well, the issue im having is i can't figure out how to actually set the cutting area.. i know there is a button to push but once i push the button then what? how do i actually input the size im using. this machine is a fabulous idea but i must admit it is quite frustrating!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:45am
post #12 of 16

I let it sit out uncovered. If you cover it then it won't dry out enough.

Cat

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 7:25am
post #13 of 16

I would recommend using some computer program, I use SCAL and love it. I can set everything up on the screen before I get my piece out of fridge. Using slightly drier fondant or gumpaste will help. Also take your time figuring out what settings work the best for you. Max pressure with high speed works the best for me, but play around and find out.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:02am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

I use in my regularly and haven't had problems with it. If you're having trouble finding the letters, look for them and type them out while the fondant is in the freezer this way the fondant won't get soft when you're looking for the letters.

I also use Satin Ice regularly with great results. However i NEVER put it in the freezer. I let it sit out un covered for about 15-20 minutes to "firm" up. I roll it thin enough so i can see the lines on the mat also.

Personally i don't understand the whole freeze it first thing. Because as it warms up it is going to get softer than it was to begin with.

Also, as mentioned above, you can get the letters set up in the cricut before you put your fondant in the machine (either while it's freezing or firming up on the counter)

Lizmybit Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:14pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you for all the help! I finally got it to work. I guess I I still needed to roll it thinner. I need a pasta machine. I have an old one but it tears the gum paste

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 16

i have been using wilton gumpaste and so far it's working pretty well....Apparently cricut is going to be having a free online class soon...not sure on all the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%