Decorating By June_m Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 8:48am by Arabus

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Where do you get your red velvet mix from? I think it'd be good to try it, as you know the scratch is yucky lol

its the macphie one from BFP. I have tried and tried and tried the red velvet from scratch my friend even sent me american recipe books with it in but i just haven't got on with any of them lol

I'll have to ask them when I ring up as I couldn't see it on their product list, I've never been asked about red velvet. Do you get asked for it alot?

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:11pm
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by June_m

Yea sweet success can be expensive I Love their taste but £20 for a 12" ouch! That's it plain lol I'd love some recipes I constantly have to make maderia daily it must be everyones fav. I bought red velvet mix from sweet success an it's amazing an very soft. Only had a lil hint of chocolate tho so i added a lil more icon_smile.gif
How long have you been decorating?

ouch yeah that's steep when u add on decoration etc. Have you tried any of the professional mixes? It could work out a better deal.I did my courses for nearly a year then started up my home buiness last July so not too long. Still learning I think as people always seem to want to set me a challenge of some kind lol icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #63 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where do you get your red velvet mix from? I think it'd be good to try it, as you know the scratch is yucky lol

its the macphie one from BFP. I have tried and tried and tried the red velvet from scratch my friend even sent me american recipe books with it in but i just haven't got on with any of them lol

I'll have to ask them when I ring up as I couldn't see it on their product list, I've never been asked about red velvet. Do you get asked for it alot?

I don't get asked that much I find it more for cupcakes. What do you think of red velvet? I'm still not 100% sure if I like it or not lol

Dollydoo2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dollydoo2000 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:23pm
post #64 of 71

I think all your cakes are fantastic, well done everyone.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #65 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't get asked that much I find it more for cupcakes. What do you think of red velvet? I'm still not 100% sure if I like it or not lol

It's just bland. I think it's just a novelty of it being red...

allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Well, if you want to post some pics (or email me?) I'll tell you what I'd charge.

Hi Relznik I've posted 3 of the wedding cakes in my gallery - would you mind having a look and telling me what you think price wise please? I know i'm going to get asked on Saturday! the heart is 12, 10, 8, the separated round is 12, 9, 6 and the round with roses if 10, 8, 6

thank you so much

p.s had a look at your cakes they are fab - how long you been caking?

icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #67 of 71

Hi

I promise to take a look and work out charges later.... up to my eyes and very behind on two cakes that are being picked up tomorrow morning! x

allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:03pm
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Hi

I promise to take a look and work out charges later.... up to my eyes and very behind on two cakes that are being picked up tomorrow morning! x

hi there thank you that's really good of you. i know that feeling i've had a cake brought forward 3 days and I don't know where to start with it. may post a thread see if anyone done one before! good luck with cakes

icon_smile.gif

Arabus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arabus Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:04am
post #69 of 71

I always struggled with prices. I did a spread sheet and on that I put the costs of the cake basics - in other words on there is cost of the cake ingredients itself for each size, board, box, icing, filling, dowels, everything basically and then I price it up from there. obviously this is just the cost of the cake and ingredients. Then I price for my time and the difficulty of the design and all extras. For example a girl wanted a plain cake but then said i want each tier to have diamante trim... price went up but she couldn't understand that it's just trim after all? wrong! Diamante trim on discounted price in bulk costs me £6.80 per metre! it's all these little things you need to take into account. its easy to forget the time you have taken, and little things like filling or 5 dowels but it all adds up!

I'd suggest doing the spread sheet. Sit down and work out say for 12", 10", 8" round/square how much it costs for you to bake, fill, ice, ice the board, ribbon, supply the board, supply the box and then the time it took you to do it. You'll be really surprised at how it adds up then you'll know your prices.

I don't price per portion but I think its a good idea

HTH
HI allaboutcake i would like a copy of your spred sheet too [email protected]
manythanks

allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:57am
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus

I always struggled with prices. I did a spread sheet and on that I put the costs of the cake basics - in other words on there is cost of the cake ingredients itself for each size, board, box, icing, filling, dowels, everything basically and then I price it up from there. obviously this is just the cost of the cake and ingredients. Then I price for my time and the difficulty of the design and all extras. For example a girl wanted a plain cake but then said i want each tier to have diamante trim... price went up but she couldn't understand that it's just trim after all? wrong! Diamante trim on discounted price in bulk costs me £6.80 per metre! it's all these little things you need to take into account. its easy to forget the time you have taken, and little things like filling or 5 dowels but it all adds up!

I'd suggest doing the spread sheet. Sit down and work out say for 12", 10", 8" round/square how much it costs for you to bake, fill, ice, ice the board, ribbon, supply the board, supply the box and then the time it took you to do it. You'll be really surprised at how it adds up then you'll know your prices.

HTH
manythanks

hi there have sent one to your email address icon_smile.gif

Arabus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arabus Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:48am
post #71 of 71
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus

HTH
manythanks

hi there have sent one to your email address icon_smile.gif

Thank you x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%