Uk Bakers

Decorating By June_m Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 8:48am by Arabus

June_m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
June_m Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm
post #31 of 71

I got it for £16.50 for 5kg from my local cake shop. Its got the vanilla smell an so easy to work with icon_smile.gif I honestly need to sit down properly an work out what my expenses are, I've only been doing this since November so I don't have experience etc so I don't feel I can charge alot x

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:33pm
post #32 of 71

I tried covapaste and hated it. Would just rip all the time and didn't feel as elastic as other brands. I use regalice at the minute but I am about to put in an order to Jennifer Dontz to try her fondant out where you add candy melts.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:39pm
post #33 of 71

June your cakes are really nice - don't undersell yourself and at least have some realistic prices which cover your costs and some profit - I did my price list around round and square and different sizes, specifying that this was for simple sugar paste decorations...the bigger and more complicated, the higher the price, fruit cake more expensive but I have a baseline to start with.....Good luck icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:22am
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by June_m

I got it for �16.50 for 5kg from my local cake shop. Its got the vanilla smell an so easy to work with icon_smile.gif I honestly need to sit down properly an work out what my expenses are, I've only been doing this since November so I don't have experience etc so I don't feel I can charge alot x

That's not bad. I used to use covapaste but found I didn't get on with it very well. I love the smell though but some found it over powering. I love vanilla!
I get Renshaws regalice £26.64 for 10kg and the celebration ivory for £29.02 for 10kg so it works out just as cost effective for me. Although I've been doing dummy cakes and a 4 tier wedding this week so I've got through tons of it!! I hope all these dummy cakes are worth it. I'm doing my first wedding fayre on Saturday. Anyone done wedding fayres out there? I'm most concerned about the pricing people asking me how much that one I can't decide what I would price each of these cakes at the mo that I've created icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:09am
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

I get Renshaws regalice £26.64 for 10kg and the celebration ivory for £29.02 for 10kg so it works out just as cost effective for me. Although I've been doing dummy cakes and a 4 tier wedding this week so I've got through tons of it!! I hope all these dummy cakes are worth it. I'm doing my first wedding fayre on Saturday. Anyone done wedding fayres out there? I'm most concerned about the pricing people asking me how much that one I can't decide what I would price each of these cakes at the mo that I've created icon_biggrin.gif

That's a really good price - where do you get it from??

Good luck with the wedding fair. What I do is to work out exactly how much I'd charge for each cake and also the number of portions it would do, and make a list.

That way, when someone asks you, you can say 'this cake, as shown, serves X portions and is £x. Obviously, if you need more or fewer portions, we can do that', but DON'T be drawn into working out a price on the spot!! Get their details and offer to contact them to arrange a proper consult a couple of days after the wedding fair to discuss their exact requirements.

At least if you have a list of portions and prices to hand, it gives people a ball-park figure.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:15am
post #36 of 71

That's a really good price - where do you get it from??

Good luck with the wedding fair. What I do is to work out exactly how much I'd charge for each cake and also the number of portions it would do, and make a list.

That way, when someone asks you, you can say 'this cake, as shown, serves X portions and is �x. Obviously, if you need more or fewer portions, we can do that', but DON'T be drawn into working out a price on the spot!! Get their details and offer to contact them to arrange a proper consult a couple of days after the wedding fair to discuss their exact requirements.

At least if you have a list of portions and prices to hand, it gives people a ball-park figure.[/quote]

Hi there I get it from BFP wholesale they do a wide range of renshaw at good prices for bulk. I find the cheapest option is the 10 x 1 kg packs in a box rather than the big chunk in one bag (also keeps better!). their marzipan is good too and they do the covapaste.

Thank you I'm going to do that but I'm a bit stumped on pricing the cakes I've done so far for some reason as I'm trying to work out how much time they took (as dummies) and then how long they would take as real cake for some of these! I hate being put on the spot on prices so i think i'm going to take a quote/enquiry form as you say and get back to them after the fair. My friend said so many people just say "how much that one, and that one" then they say they only got 50 people to feed icon_smile.gif

Relznik Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:18am
post #37 of 71

I tend to price up my cakes by working out what the 'basic' price would be for that size, then just add on a bit extra, depending on how long they took, LOL!

I price a lot of my stuff like that... wet finger in the air LOL!!!! I could charge more one day than the other, depending on my mood. I realise that's no way to run a business, but... icon_redface.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:20am
post #38 of 71

LOL I have a basic cakes price list for everything that goes into the cake then I add on for time taken and decoration but in the past I have soooo underpriced! don't intend to keep making that mistake again.

Ha ha yeah or if its a last minute that normally is a good reason!

Relznik Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:23am
post #39 of 71

Well, if you want to post some pics (or email me?) I'll tell you what I'd charge.

June_m Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:02am
post #40 of 71

I still don't know how long some cakes may take me to do

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=165483033502044&set=a.170508079666206.49623.124170964299918

This one I done a few weeks ago, took me about a week to make the camera from rice crispy squares, edible images etc I charged £55 x

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:35am
post #41 of 71
Quote:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=165483033502044&set=a.170508079666206.49623.124170964299918

This one I done a few weeks ago, took me about a week to make the camera from rice crispy squares, edible images etc I charged £55 x

That cake is way underpriced at 55gbp. Depending on your area I would have expected a minimum of 110gbp, up to 140.

June_m Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:45am
post #42 of 71

Yea I was to do it again I would def charge a min £100,

So what are everyones basic prices for say basic, numbers, 2/3 tiers etc
X

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:37pm
post #43 of 71

wow June, that camera cake is fab! i can imagine most of that £55 was spent on your ingredients and images etc, leaving very little for your time, and I would imagine no profit on top?

I don't sell cakes so haven't got into pricing yet, but from your picture if I was buying I wouldn't expect to buy that for less than £100. Have you worked out the base cost of the cake?

From what I've read and heard you can price cakes like this:
Add up exactly how much all the ingredients cost you, images to print etc, even the boards and dowels and ribbons.
Then estimate how many hours you spent on it, maybe 15 hours, 20? then decide how much you think your hour rate should be, something like £6 per hour, or £10 per hour?
Then decide how much profit you want to make on top.
This gives you three figures to add up giving you final price:
(ingredients cost) + (hours spent times hourly rate) + (profit) = price

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:05pm
post #44 of 71
Quote:

This one I done a few weeks ago, took me about a week to make the camera from rice crispy squares, edible images etc I charged �55 x

June fab cake that really is and WELL under priced I'd have gone for nearer the £150 dependent upon the flavour cake. icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:11pm
post #45 of 71
Quote:

Yea I was to do it again I would def charge a min �100,

So what are everyones basic prices for say basic, numbers, 2/3 tiers etc
X

I've got on my site these rough guidelines based on vanilla sponge with no deco except ribbon so they go up from here dependent upon decoration/intricacy of design
2 tier from £185
3 tier from £255
4 tier from £385

I've just done a really basic 4 tier - plain white and white ribbon £395 but it really is basic cos they want to do their own thing with it once they pick it up. just off set squares

on other hand i was asked to do a 4 tier with large sugar orchids on corner of each tier and top and intricate black and silver RI piping to each corner and that is £650+

I try to be reasonable as I can as I know some people want a simple cake so when i've worked out costs for all ingredients and that it won't take so long to ice and stack as nothing else is going on it I try keep realistic on price and not be unreasonable just cos it says "wedding" in front of the cake icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:13pm
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Well, if you want to post some pics (or email me?) I'll tell you what I'd charge.

That would be cool i'm going to take some pics of these completed cakes and stick on gallery today it may be helpful to us all to see what we all think and give us all some guidance icon_smile.gif

June_m Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:04pm
post #47 of 71

Are you home based? I was thinking of doing maybe £50 per tier for wedding cakes an if decoration etc then added on. I'm looking into taking a diploma class so I can learn everything properly. I have done classes but you don't get anything to show you've done them x

LisaPeps Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #48 of 71
Quote:

Hi there I get it from BFP wholesale they do a wide range of renshaw at good prices for bulk. I find the cheapest option is the 10 x 1 kg packs in a box rather than the big chunk in one bag (also keeps better!). their marzipan is good too and they do the covapaste.

There's one of those near me! Do you have to join as a member? And do you need to be a business? eg have a Tax or Vat number, something like that?

I'm always trying to find cheaper prices... in everything aspect of my life lol! icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:

There's one of those near me! Do you have to join as a member? And do you need to be a business? eg have a Tax or Vat number, something like that?

I'm always trying to find cheaper prices... in everything aspect of my life lol! icon_smile.gif

Hi Lisa no you don't ned to join you can be just an occasional customer who collects. No VAt number required. You need to ring up (normally ordering is from 8.30- 1 pm). They don't have prices on line so if you have an idea of what you are looking for ring them up and ask their best price. they do list what they do on line but no prices. I find the more often you order the cheaper it gets. Then they sort the order and you pay when u pick up. its a huge warehouse so you can't browse. my one won't deliver as they won't deliver to non-commercial addresses due to size of lorries bt worth asking your local one. Best prices i've found icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:49pm
post #50 of 71
Quote:

Are you home based? I was thinking of doing maybe �50 per tier for wedding cakes an if decoration etc then added on. I'm looking into taking a diploma class so I can learn everything properly. I have done classes but you don't get anything to show you've done them x

Hi June was that question to me sorry wasn't sure but yes I am home based. I did the diplomas and you get a masters dcertificate if you do all 3 so its nice to have. but saying that I know some of the most talented people who did no classes or are self taught too. don't under sell your talent icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm
post #51 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Lisa no you don't ned to join you can be just an occasional customer who collects. No VAt number required. You need to ring up (normally ordering is from 8.30- 1 pm). They don't have prices on line so if you have an idea of what you are looking for ring them up and ask their best price. they do list what they do on line but no prices. I find the more often you order the cheaper it gets. Then they sort the order and you pay when u pick up. its a huge warehouse so you can't browse. my one won't deliver as they won't deliver to non-commercial addresses due to size of lorries bt worth asking your local one. Best prices i've found icon_smile.gif

Have you used them for sugar or flour or just the icing? The icing if I can get it the same price as you is about £8 cheaper than where I get it from... unfortunately I just received an order for 10kg >.<

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #52 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have you used them for sugar or flour or just the icing? The icing if I can get it the same price as you is about �8 cheaper than where I get it from... unfortunately I just received an order for 10kg >.<

mainly just icing as sometimes the bags flour/sugar just way too big! it does make a diff doesn't it if you get through a lot as it all adds up icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:51pm
post #53 of 71

[quote="allaboutcakeuk"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Relznik and all I've uploaded some of the wedding cake photos now to my gallery so be really good to see what pricing you think. The black and white heart is a 12"/10"/8". the 3 tier pastel with roses is 10"/8"/6" round. The cerise pink ribbon separated tiers is 12"/10"/8" round. I also did a 4 tier white square cake with no decoration except ribbon but off set that I didn't put on its 14"/12"/10"/8".
thanks all icon_biggrin.gif

oo i also put on a little topsy turvy. base is 9" fruit (what a to do carving fruit cake!) with a 5" sponge top

June_m Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:08pm
post #54 of 71

Your cakes are stunning! I would expect to pay a fortune for them! I have my first wedding cake due on friday eek! Let's hope I can pull it off. Allaboutcakeuk do you bake from scratch? I've started to buy from sweet success for my own family cakes I get sick of the usual maderia etc x

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:18pm
post #55 of 71
Quote:

Your cakes are stunning! I would expect to pay a fortune for them! I have my first wedding cake due on friday eek! Let's hope I can pull it off. Allaboutcakeuk do you bake from scratch? I've started to buy from sweet success for my own family cakes I get sick of the usual maderia etc x

thank you June that's really kind. I do both depending on what i'm doing. if its 100s of cupcakes I use a fantastic professional mix for red velvet because they stay moist being cupcakes as I find they dry out so quick otherwise. Sweet success must cost a fortune doesnt it? I've got some great recipes for rich chocolate, fruit, madeira (to which you can use as a great base for lemon cake/orange cake) etc that I got from where I did my courses when I first started as they teach us the basic recipes. Happy to share if you wanted.

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #56 of 71

wow allabout, love your piping on the heart cake...ow did you get it so perfect?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:26pm
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

wow allabout, love your piping on the heart cake...ow did you get it so perfect?

thank you so much. its first time i've piped black on ivory its so much easier in pale colours - i thought this is a one time deal and held my breath it felt like ages lol, I had a print out of the design to work from icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #58 of 71

Where do you get your red velvet mix from? I think it'd be good to try it, as you know the scratch is yucky lol

I couldn't see it listed on BFP's product list

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #59 of 71
Quote:

Where do you get your red velvet mix from? I think it'd be good to try it, as you know the scratch is yucky lol

its the macphie one from BFP. I have tried and tried and tried the red velvet from scratch my friend even sent me american recipe books with it in but i just haven't got on with any of them lol

June_m Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #60 of 71

Yea sweet success can be expensive I Love their taste but £20 for a 12" ouch! That's it plain lol I'd love some recipes I constantly have to make maderia daily it must be everyones fav. I bought red velvet mix from sweet success an it's amazing an very soft. Only had a lil hint of chocolate tho so i added a lil more icon_smile.gif
How long have you been decorating?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%