How Far In Advance...

Decorating By SammieB Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm by malene541

SammieB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 4

Can I make things? I've got a pretty big cake I'm making for a friend's birthday party a week from today. I've already gotten the cakes baked and frozen. I know I can make the fondant/buttercream over the next couple of days and refrigerate. However, this will be my first time messing with RKT and modeling chocolate. I have everything ready to go to make them, but i'm concerned about either drying out and not sure what night to start them. I plan on assembling everything Thursday night just to give me a little time to make sure everything is okay, that way I have all day Friday to fix things if I need to. Do I make the RKT and modeling chocolate the day the day before assembly? Thanks for your help! I don't know what I would do without this website. Have ugly cakes I guess. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
asaye Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 4

"Have ugly cakes I guess." That's funny, but I know what you mean! I'd like to know more about working with RKT myself. Only used them once before. Still pretty new to cake decorating.

Anne1017 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 4

When we are using RCT we will do them several days in advance. We want them to harden well so that it is sturdy enough. We have also used "fresh" RCT when the item didn't need to stand on it's own or need support. We also cover the RCT in modeling chocolate and then when we decorate we cover it again in fondant. That double coating helps to hide the lumps in the RCT. HTH

malene541 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 4

Ya, you won't be eating the RCT! You want it really condensed and hard. If you make it with dairy free butter it will harden even more too if need be.
I would get all of the RCT and modeling chocolate done and out of the way while you have time now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%