"painting" On Buttercream

Decorating By MandaMoh3 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 1:11pm by sunlover00

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 7

Can you "paint" on bc? I know you can on Fondant, but is it possible on bc?

6 replies
cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 7

Even with a crusting buttercream it would be quite difficult. The tip of the bristles will constantly cut into the frosting. You can create a stencil, airbrush colors in and then outline the design with icing and achieve a very clean look. Good Luck

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! Question about the air brushing. My dad bought me an airbrush machine used for models... Can I use that ( never used before, it's brand new) and what food coloring do you use?

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #4 of 7

Americolor is the best I've used.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

I'm not sure but a long time ago I was asked to replicate this cake. The bride changed her mind soon after asking but I always wondered how they did it. This is one that I would love to try!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58910007@N08/?saved=1

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:42am
post #6 of 7

I haven't tried freehand painting directly on the sides of a cake yet but I have painted a piped pattern done on the sides. I chill the cake pretty well so I dont't have to worry about the bristles marring the buttercream. So far I have only had to paint metallic embellishments on the sides of a cake so im not sure about other colors. I use a mixture of luster dust and everclear to get a good even coat.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure but a long time ago I was asked to replicate this cake. The bride changed her mind soon after asking but I always wondered how they did it. This is one that I would love to try!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58910007@N08/?saved=1

To obtain this look, on white buttercream, add splotches of blue, then run the spatula around the cake to give it the smeared look. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%