Wilton Does It Again *rolls Eyes*

Decorating By chefjess819 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm by chefjess819

chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

i decided to try to make royal icing drop flowers for the first time today. watched several videos online of how to make them. they looked easy enough. WRONG! everytime i do the "hold the bag 90 degrees and turn your wrist" technique, the flower smooshes into oblivion....so instead i decide to just hold it still and squeeze until it resembles a flower and pull up. works for me...get online to figure out what i did wrong. go to the wilton website, type in the tip #...the tip is for left handed people. icon_confused.gif now i'm not saying that left handed people cant make cakes, but why not have both right and left handed tips in the box? this is the medium sized tip pack wilton makes. i didnt realize that there were tips made specifically for left handed people... i wonder how many other people just thought that they were weird and couldnt make them...shame on you wilton...shame, shame.. icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
myslady Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe you just bought the pack for left handed people. icon_smile.gif)
It would be nice if they marketed two different packs one for right handed people and one for left. Probably a good suggestion for them.

Putting both tips in the pack just gives you a useless tip. The reason there are tips for left-handed people is because of the issue you identified. Left handed people would have trouble making the flowers with the other tip. Wilton is just trying to make things even in an otherwise right handed world.

I'm pretty sure you would hate my house cause I have left handed knives as well. LOL

chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 9

lol...mine is a house divided...ma and my oldest daughter are right handed, my husband and my youngest are left handed. i've had to make myself learn to use my left hand so i can teach her how to do things. but wilton does need to have on the pack itself that they are left handed. i have the paper back that came on the package, and all it said was drop flower...on their website, it says tip 106 is for left handed drop flowers...some clarification would be nice. icon_rolleyes.gif
but, they got done, look cute and are drying as i type. thumbs_up.gif

myslady Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

That reminds me of my sister who is right handed trying to help my oldest nephew who is left handed. LOL.

Glad you were able to make them and get them done.

kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #5 of 9

What tip were you trying to use to make swirled drop flowers that was actually a left handed tip ??
Some tips for making them: hold your hand still (as you did) BUT.....with your other hand twist the paper icon_smile.gif
I usually tape plastic wrap to the back of a cookie sheet and turn the sheet while holding my bag/hand still while squeezing.
Then ....... it is very important to stop squeezing; leave hand still; count to 3 (gives mind a break helps you *really* stop squeezing) before lifting hand straight up. This will prevent destroying the flower by draging tip through the icing .
Royal icing flowers will actually fall off plastic wrap when they are dry enough. I don't know how many I lost/broke trying to loosen them from wax paper icon_sad.gif

chefjess819 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

the tip says 106L which according to the wilton site is the left handed drop flower tip. i made mine on plastic wrap, for the simple fact i didnt have any wax paper and didnt feel like going to the store.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 9

I have one of those too! It came in a multi-pack. I will have to put it in it's own little spot, my husband is a leftie, and I want him to stay home and cake with me. He has an art background and is very handy to have around.

cheatize Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 9

Y'all can send me those lefty tips. k? lol

chefjess819 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 9

yup..mine came in a multi pack from walmart...oh well..still usable! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%