How To Incorporate A Working Water Fall Into A Cake

Decorating By Sandy_37 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 3:29am by holwhit

Sandy_37 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 11

Hi I am trying to come up with an ideal for making a Mermaid cake with a real water working device for the waterfall. I am pretty sure I can use the rubber tubing that comes with a fish tank and the pump, but what type of icing will I have to use on the outside of my cake that will allow the water to flow down the side and gather into a pool? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Sandy

10 replies
chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 11

i dont think any type of icing would hold up to having water run over it. but for what you are trying to do, you could make a "river" out of thick plastic sheeting (like a new shower curtain) and curl it up on the sides. put this down the cake over the frosting, using either piping gel or royal icing to secure it to the fondant if using, if not the buttercream should adhere it well enough if you put it on before it crusts. then you can run the hose through the cake. i hope this makes sense...i can see it in my mind, but sometimes, my brain doesnt tell my hands the right thing. lol

Corrie76 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 11

icon_eek.gif , I don't even know what I'd sugest for you to pull this off, but you should definitely posts pics if you do it!
icon_lol.gif I think I'd chose to have a fire going on my cake over water! icon_lol.gif

motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 11

I have my doubts that you can put fish tank tubing ect in a cake... itsn ot food safe.

chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 11
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

I have my doubts that you can put fish tank tubing ect in a cake... itsn ot food safe. this didnt cross my mind...what about a metal tube in the middle of the cake, then thread the fish tank tube through it?

motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 11

wouldnt that give the cake a metal taste?

What id you wrapped in in plastic wrap?

chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 11

as long as you give yourself enough room in the cake itself where the plastic wrap wont roll or pull up as you put it in...i know they use the copper pipes all the time on food network challenges...just not sure about if they actually eat them afterwards...i tried asking once, didnt get a reply. lol icon_rolleyes.gif

cathyscakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 11

I think if you had to have one, I'd just use a little table top fountain and put it on the cake, of course doweled and supported, and decorate around it. I would just search waterfall cakes, and you will see all kinds that have the look of a waterfall.

CWR41 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 11

Plastic PVC pipe is also used for our water pipes.

holwhit Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:29am
post #11 of 11

You can get flexible food safe tubing at home depot. It's the stuff they use for fridge ice makers and water dispensers I believe. You'd just need to check the ID/ OD where the tubing attaches to the pump to make sure they carry that size

Quote by @%username% on %date%