Using Toffee Bits In Cake Mix

Baking By momd68 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 8:47pm by momd68

momd68 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 5

Has anybody ever used toffee bits in the cake mix? I am doing a cake next weekend for my daughters bday and thought about using the toffee bits in the cake mix. If I dust them with flour will it keep them from sinking to the bottom like you would do with choc. chips? Would I just stir them into the batter? I am making a cake to taste similar to a heath bar. We are using wasc recipe using english toffee for the flavoring with yellow cake and using ganache filling and iced with buttercream (buttercream will have a hint of the english toffee flavor, using just a little english toffee flavor and more clear vanilla flavor). Please give me your opinion if this will work or if you have a better idea I would appreciate it very much..TIA

4 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 5

I've never used toffee bits, but I make and use candied nuts, which are basically nuts covered in homemade toffee. Toffee is just crystalized sugar - which will melt if you put it into a cake. The 1st time I added them all the toffee bits dissolved leaving a weird uncooked bit of gooey around each nut in the cake. If I were you I've leave the toffee for the filling or just put it on the outside of the cake.

Jen

Piece_acake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 5

I have put toffee bits into a cake, and although it came out a little more moist than usual, they were not distinguishable to the rest of the batter. Now I add my filling and sprinkle them on top of it and they give a good crunch. HTH

sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 5

same results as piece_acake. the toffee bits melted and i was the only one who could tell they were there, just because of a slightly darker spot in color. there was no flavor diff. so, recommend only use in fillings or toppings

momd68 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your advice. I will put the toffee bits on top of the ganache filling. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%