All's Well That End's Well

Decorating By JGMB Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 8:13pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 10

Well, I made a cake last night for a friend that I was reeeaaaallly not proud of. icon_redface.gif Although, I will say that it looked better in person than in my gallery photo. I had actually liked the colors, the borders, etc. All was fine until I had to write the 11 words on the top!

Anyway, I was ashamed for her to see it and to serve it at her family party. She showed up with a trunk and backseat full of stuff and her mom and their little dog in the front seat. Well, as you might guess, the dog jumped on the top of the box, it caved in, and the cake was pretty much ruined. I can honestly say I was glad!!!!

9 replies
kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

LOL! Normally I would say " Awe that's too bad...sory...etc.) But....YAy!!!! Someone is looking out for you!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 10

I kind of know what you mean - I've had a couple of cakes that I was hoping would get run over by a train on the way to delivery. But, still, you did put a lot of work into it - it must have crushed you just a little to see it go down the drain like that. And besides, it probably would have tasted great - they missed out on all that. My worst cake disaster was a cake that fell apart on its way to my MIL's birthday party. Fortunately, it fell apart on the cake board, not on the ground, so I took it anyway and it got devoured (seconds and thirds were had by all!), because it really tasted good, so you never know. Sorry for your mishap!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Well, I made a cake last night for a friend that I was reeeaaaallly not proud of.

I was confused at first as I thought you weren't proud of your friend

JGMB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

it probably would have tasted great - they missed out on all that.

Well, we peeked in the box and the cake was pretty well mangled, but I'm sure they could still manage to cut and serve it. So, they could enjoy the taste without having to see my ugly work! icon_wink.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 10

Personally I wouldn't send out a cake I was that embarrassed about.

Could you have scraped off the words, started over if doing buttercream or cut them out using small cookie cutters?

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 10

Just had a look and the cake looked fine. The writing was neat and you produced exactly what they asked.When I read the post I thought you meant you had made a mess of things.
If at all possible I like to put any words around the board on my cakes.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 10

Great idea, Rosiepan - much easier to correct!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 10

Why did you send out a cake that you were that embarrassed about?

Could you have scraped off the words, started over if doing buttercream or cut them out of fondant using small cookie cutters?

JGMB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 10

mayo222 -- apparently, I'm as bad at syntax as I am at cake decorating! icon_redface.gif You're absolutely right -- it did read that way!

vtcake -- I'm not a professional decorator. I just bake for family and friends, so I figured I made what she asked for and I gave it to her. Beggars can't be choosers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%