Ice Cream Cake Decorating..

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm by Unlimited

jenscreativity Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 6

Ok! So, I decorated an Ice Cream cake and MANNNNNN it's hard work!! Does anyone know some shortcuts or how to make this easier vs worrying so much about it melting soooo fast while decorating? I froze the 8" cake in the round springform pan with plastic wrap around it to keep it together..I froze it overnight and an extra few more hours,,then...I took it out and put a thick layer of ALL high ratio shortening icing and threw it back in freezer for like an hour..THEN I made sure everything was ready to decorate cake with and man...I'm like in a challenge show or on a race decorating this thing..It decorated good, but was melting at bottom underneath icing a little..so I covered that part up with more icing to seal those parts..while decorating..now I"m freezing it for like 7 hours decorated without taking it out..so you think it will hold up during a little travel (like 1/2 hour) in the car? I hope soooo!!

My BIGGEST problem doing this was getting the melted ice-cream onto the cake to stay one without dripping to bottom of cake and also putting the layer of icing to smooth out without the cake melting so fast, after being frozen overnight..Any EASIER ideas rather then me huffing and puffing to do this all fast??
THanks a bunch and also,,does anyone do ice-cream cakes often? Just curious..

5 replies
Unlimited Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

Does anyone know some shortcuts or how to make this easier vs worrying so much about it melting soooo fast while decorating?
...so you think it will hold up during a little travel (like 1/2 hour) in the car? Any EASIER ideas rather then me huffing and puffing to do this all fast??
does anyone do ice-cream cakes often?

Sounds like you did just fine. If you don't have the speed to complete it all at once, keep putting it back into the freezer.

A local ice cream shoppe would call me to decorate their ice cream cakes... they didn't have a decorator and rarely took orders for decorated cakes, so it was subcontracted work. They didn't deliver, but I wouldn't trust ice cream that doesn't melt in 1/2 an hour! I hope you'll have it packed on ice in a cooler, because if it's real ice cream (without all that cellulose gel), it wouldn't make it out of the freezer for a half hour drive.

jenscreativity Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

what is cellulose gel? I just used regular "EDY" ice-cream mainly. So maybe would be work if I do get the cooler with ice? Thanks!

vtcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 6

I agree that it's challenging to do an ice cream cake. I did one using the ice cream cone pan. Next time I'll refreeze the ice cream in the pan before adding to the cake to make it the right shape.

Corrie76 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, sounds like you did as well as anyone else in your shoes. The only key to decorating an ice-cream cake is making sure it's really frozen and to work as fast as you can- and it sounds like that's just what you did thumbs_up.gif . One thing that would be helpful is, if possible, make the decorations for the cake out of RI or fondant or other such "lay-ons" and that way you can take your time with the individual decorations and then just pop them onto the cake quickly and get it back into the freezer straight away.
And I'm no scientist, but I've noticed that the cheaper, store brand varieties of icecream seem to take longer to melt, but I think in the long run it would only buy you a few more minutes of decorating time anyways.
On a side note, I went to a b-day party recently, where the mom made the cake, she baked two pans of brownies and sanwiched vanilla icecream between them...store bought frosting to ice it up and it was about the ugliest, most lopsided cake, melting and oozing everywhere.....but man was it ever good, probably the best ice-cream cake I've ever had! icon_razz.gif

Unlimited Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

what is cellulose gel?

I don't know, but it's used in fat-free "ice cream", which probably isn't ice cream anyway because it doesn't melt! Once, we forgot to put one bag of groceries away because we thought it was a bag of empty bags, and the next day we discovered it had the (fat-free) "ice cream" in it but it didn't melt. We expected to see a huge puddle on the floor, but there wasn't a drop of anything that leaked outit still looked like frozen ice cream! We decided to never buy it againbecause if it doesn't melt, how can it breakdown once you've consumed it? (Maybe it's plastic, IDK!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%