Dusting Powder On Buttercream

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All! I was wondering. If one was going to make a cake and ice it in buttercream, could you apply a dusting powder to give it an alternate look/shimmer to the color? If so, which dust is best, ie: shimmer, petal, etc. And how would you apply it? I don't have an air brush.

Thanks!

5 replies
Dreme Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have an airbrush either. If I need to make a buttercream cake shimmer I just tint the buttercream a color close to shimmer color im going for. I take dry luster dust and dust it over the surface of the tinted cake. It wont be as solid as aribrushing over fondant, but it still gives a pretty effect.

Hope this helps.

Sangriacupcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

I don't have an airbrush either. If I need to make a buttercream cake shimmer I just tint the buttercream a color close to shimmer color im going for. I take dry luster dust and dust it over the surface of the tinted cake. It wont be as solid as aribrushing over fondant, but it still gives a pretty effect.

Hope this helps.

Do you use a brush, or just sprinkle it on? I have not been able to successfully brush any dusts onto buttercream. I do, however, sometimes use edible glitter (is that also called disco dust? lol) which I sprinkle on lightly by hand.

Dreme Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

I use a really good soft mop paint brush. I don't recommend using a makeup brush as the fibers tend to fall out. I do refridegrate my cakes so that helps with the application. It didn't really work well when I did it at room temp. Just keep dusting until you get even coverage.

Edible glitter and disco dust are different things. Edible glitter has larger kind of translucent flakes. Disco dust looks like regular glitter. I personally love to work with disco dust. You can do some pretty neat things with it.

Sangriacupcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks!

mrsmac888 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 6

Dreme-Thank you! That helps a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%