To All The San Fran Area Peeps!

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 6:25pm by FromScratchSF

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys!

I just found out that I have the chance to come out to San Fran for a visit, while my husband has business in the area. I will have a lot of time to myself and I was wondering If you all can make some suggestions?

I visited a few years ago for only 2 days...and have been dying to go back. I got to see the GG Bridge, and toured some of the popular hot spots- a real rush trip. However this time... i think i want to see if I can benefit some some way other than just a little down time.

To occupy my time there i was wondering if you all can make any suggestions of things i can do? see? maybe places to learn? places to eat? ...that might help me creatively, or in my process to being a professional baker.

What ya think?

Thanks!!!

What ya think?
Thanks so much

5 replies
CiNoRi Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

Anyone? icon_wink.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #3 of 6

Greeting from San Francisco!

Your question is vague, this is a massive city that's hard to fit stuff into if you don't plan accordingly, you generally want to plan stuff close to where you are staying, so if you name a neighborhood and general interests I can point you in a few directions. Like, do you want to do super touristy stuff? Off the beaten path stuff? Will you have a car? When will you be here? Massive events are happing all the time. Check SF Weekly dot com's event calender to see what's happening. And I think the Giants start back up soon, games are fun esp. since they won the World Series.

Anyway, more info?

Jen

CiNoRi Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 6

Thats true... i was vague sorry! icon_wink.gif I'm just open to ideas. I love off the beaten path stuff. Even though my last trip was whirlwind.. i felt like i saw the "touristy" stuff that I wanted to see.. This time its just me for the most part and i figured why not do something for me! My thought was, being where i am on the east coast... the vibe just isnt the same when it comes to food related things... so i thought if i could do something while in San Fran baking/ food related...might help get my creative juices flowing...or something like that. For instance last time I was fortunate to go to Wine country for a bit, we happens to make it over to the Culinary Institute, and popped in for a short demo/class...that hour or 2 was prolly one of my faves of the trip icon_razz.gif so im easy please! icon_wink.gif

I will definitely check that site, Thanky! As for a car prolly not. but if there was something outside of the city that would be worth the hike... I can make arrangements! I'm not sure on where id be staying, all i know is that it will most likely be near the Intercontinental Hotel on Howard St. Downtown.

That help? icon_wink.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 6

I love my city so I'm posting a novel here....

First, the car question is a big one because in touristville it's super hard to navigate traffic and parking is very expensive and really hard to come by. So cabs, MUNI, and your feet are the best ways to get around. The California Street cable car is ripped up right now making cable cars a nightmare, so DON'T plan on trying to take one unless you want to stand in line for hours. 511.org has all the bus schedules and if you have a smart phone nextbus.com will tell you when the next bus is coming when you are standing at the stop.

The street fairs start up in May, with Union Street fair kicking off the season. June is Pride month, so check the dates of the Pride Parade, the city is literally a zoo (and lots of fun).

Summer in SF is COLD. I know it's California, but I'm telling you - it's 60 degrees in July. Plan to dress accordingly or plan on spending $$$ on the super expensive tacky jackets and fleeces the street vendors thrive on selling to unaware tourists.

Baking stuff: You got me there - surprisingly there isn't a whole bunch baking related here in the City. Other then Sur La Table for quick home-cook over-priced baking supplies, there isn't a cake decorating store located in San Francisco - closest ones are in Daily City and Berkeley, and you'd probably be better off skipping those. Sur La Table does offer classes at it's Maiden Lane location (Union Square), but the baking ones never seem to fill up and they get canceled (I've tried registering for their piping class 3 times now and have given up), although I've been in there when they have had their cooking ones. Right now they are featuring the Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations) series, so if you want to take a quick, fun regular cooking class check out their website.

As for Culinary Institute, they also don't have any baking demos coming up - it's all cooking, although I think they are free... http://www.chefs.edu/About-Us/Events/LCB-Events

The San Francisco Baking Institute sometimes has weekend workshops, but those tend to be all bread-related and $$$$$$$$$. http://www.sfbi.com/index.html

I've always wanted to do this tour... http://www.zerve.com/WokWiz/Ate

Off The Grid and the food truck craze is super popular right now, I might even be selling cupcakes on a night you're there... http://www.fortmason.org/events/events-details?id=1496&start=2010-07-23&end=2010-07-23

If you are at the Intercontinental, you'll be right across the street from the best Irish pub (IMO) in teh city - The Chieftain. Get a portobello melt, you'll thank me later. You are also super close to Fang (great Chinese), Thirsty Bear (good tapas and micro brew), and Tropesueno (Mexican), which are some of my favs to eat at in SOMA. All of which are NOT tourist spots, they are a little off the beaten path, and walking distance.

Sunday Streets starts back up this month and run all thru the summer, I love those, they close down Embarcadero from Giants Stadium to Chinatown to cars and people just get out and run, walk, stroll.. I grab my hubbie and dog, have a nice little stroll along the water and end at the Ferry Building farmer's market, where we grab a baguette and some cheese and just snack watching the ferries. It's a total local thing to do. Google it for dates.

Hope this gives you some stuff to look into!

Jen

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 6

OH! Also sign up for Groupon here, some great deals get sent for all kinds of stuff I've never seen before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%