Cricut Cake

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm by Lizmybit

Lizmybit Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 6

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I have the cricut cake and I have an nothing but problems with it. I've only been able to do large objects. I did a 6 inch butterfly for a cake topper and it worked great. Any time I attempt small work such as lettering or small butterflies the gum paste tears.

I'm desperate for help! I want so much to be using it but right now it's doing nothing but taking up space.

Any advice?

5 replies
icer101 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

There was a thread on this yesterday. Some c/cers say to go to youtube and watch Linda Mcclure(she is the one that came up with this idea) and there are others on youtube showing how to use the cake cricut. Check it out. hth

kathie-d Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 6

I have the cricut cake and I love it! I was worried about getting it because of all the mixed reviews that I had read...but I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and get it knowing that there may be a learning curve.
Here's what I do and it comes out with clean lines every time, and I can do VERY intricate designs with it! ( if you look in my pics you will see a black and white wedding cake that I used my cricut for): Grease your mat with shortning, and roll out your fondant very thin onto the mat. (thin enough you can actually see the lines of the mat, like you would if making a gumpaste rose)

Then throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, take it out make your cuts, remove the excess fondant (you will be able to reuse it), and throw it back in the freezer. Take it out when you are ready to use it. I find that by doing this you have clean lines and can do what ever designs that you want and by freezing it after it makes it easier to handle when putting it on your cake without it stretching or anything. HTH and if you have any more problems feel free to ask!

kathie-d Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 6

I have the cricut cake and I love it! I was worried about getting it because of all the mixed reviews that I had read...but I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and get it knowing that there may be a learning curve.
Here's what I do and it comes out with clean lines every time, and I can do VERY intricate designs with it! ( if you look in my pics you will see a black and white wedding cake that I used my cricut for): Grease your mat with shortning, and roll out your fondant very thin onto the mat. (thin enough you can actually see the lines of the mat, like you would if making a gumpaste rose)

Then throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, take it out make your cuts, remove the excess fondant (you will be able to reuse it), and throw it back in the freezer. Take it out when you are ready to use it. I find that by doing this you have clean lines and can do what ever designs that you want and by freezing it after it makes it easier to handle when putting it on your cake without it stretching or anything. HTH and if you have any more problems feel free to ask!

kathie-d Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 6

oops! I must have it "submit" twice!

Lizmybit Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%