Help Asap Please, Having Trouble With My Number 33 Cake!!

Decorating By clemason Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm by Marianna46

clemason Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, Im making a number 33 cake for a friend's friend. Ive tried LOADS of times now to cover the bugger but I just cant seem to do it without it cracking so Ive ended up rolling a long straight pieve of fondant and rolled it around the sides then covered the top with fondant, the only trouble is now I have a join line around the top and I cant seem to get rid of it, cant anyone tell me how for future reference I get rid of this, and could anyone give any idea on how I could cover this up, Im putting lots of flowers scattered all over it in different colours but you'll still be able to see the join.

Emma x

3 replies
kathie-d Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 4

If you have an extruder you can put a nice clean "rope" around it where it meets. You can buy them at Michaels in the clay and pottery section. I paid $8 for mine with a coupon. They are nice to have for borders, Hair, various thickness of strings, and all kings of things with fondant. In my pics there is a white wedding cake with lots of "string work" is all fondant that I used my extruder to do. HTH!

cakedout Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 4

I agree- use a "rope" border around each number- it will help accent the shape. It can be the same color as your base fondant, or an accent color.

If you don't have an extruder, or the time to go buy one, just pipe a border over the seam- either a solid line in about a #4 or 5 round tip, or a small beaded or shell border.

Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 4

I don't see any way of getting rid of the seams, either, clemason. I like kathie-d's idea of using an extruder to make a rope or braid border, but I have a couple of other ideas, as well. One is that you could pipe a buttercream or royal icing border over the seam. The other is that you could try using a crimper all the way around the seam to create a fancy design. I just bought one that makes a heart-shaped crimp, but probabaly the ones that make waves or figure eights would be better for a non-Valentine's cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%