3 Tier Wedding Cake---Choc Cake--Ganache Filling--And Butter

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm by cherrycakes

Jody130 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a wedding cake for my friends daughter, she wants a 3 tier, with chocolate cake, choc ganache filling and buttercream icing, no fondant. so my question is, I know that it's harder to decorate a choc cake because of the choc crumbs, can anyone give me a good idea on how to do the filling, and ice the cakes without alot of choc crumbs showing??? Thanks for helping!!

5 replies
kristanashley Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 6

When I have to ice a chocolate cake, I always do a crumb coat with a really soft buttercream and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Then I pull it out of the freezer and put on a thick layer of stiff bc with an icer tip and take it off with a spatula until it's smooth.

by_mommamee Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

from what i've read...you'll need to keep the really cold...it tightens the crumbs....

Serena4016 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 6

I just made a ganache filled choc. cake last night. You need to let the ganache set up a bit so it is no longer really soft. I put mine in the fridge and would take it out and stir it periodically to test the consistency. When it was a spreadable consistency I put it on each layer and then put the cake layers in the fridge to set up even more. Once it was very stiff I stacked the layers. This paticular cake, I also covered in ganache. To answer the buttercream question...Do a crumb coat with the buttercream and as said previously, put in the fridge to really firm it up. Then coat again with buttercream...you should be fine!!!

Jody130 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

ok thanks for all the help, can you crumb coat in ganache, and then do buttercream over that?? I know you can fondant, but never tried to crumb in ganache and cover in buttercream

cherrycakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 6

One of the best analogies I ever received in regards to crumb-coating was to think of buttering a piece of toast - you really don't need any more icing than that and as others have said, then put it in the fridge and apply the top coat of icing with an icing tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%