Fondant Owl To Stand Up On Cake......help!!!!

Decorating By areinsbach Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 2:35am by Coral3

areinsbach Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I am doing a two tiered cake (photo attached) with a big owl on the top and lollipops on the sides. I did the owl in brown fondant. I did three ovals (pushed together) for the body and attached the ears and put three wires in the middle. My question is will this actually stand up on the cake? How long does it need to dry to stand up on the cake? It is Thursday and I made the body today (I still have to add a few more things to it tomorrow morning) and I need to attach the wires with the attached owl on Sunday. I didn't use any gum paste for the body (oops!). I am hoping that Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday it will dry and be able to be put on the cake.

Another question. I am doing these lollipops out of fondant and will be placing them around the cake. How do I attach these on the bottom tier? I was thinking about using gum glue (water and meringue powder) to attach the fondant lollipops to the cake. The cake will be covered in fondant. How long do I need to let these lollipops dry before placing them around the cake? Should I put gum glue on the lollipop sticks, too? I hope that they don't fall off....HELP! I will be placing a ribbon around the bottom of the lollipop sticks. I am afraid that they will be too top heavy to stay around the cake...... Any help to any guestions is MUCH appreciated! Please feel free to look at the photo attached! icon_smile.gif

Thanks! Amanda icon_wink.gif

5 replies
cakeninja82 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #2 of 6

There is no photo attached but I'll help if I can.

I always work with gumpaste or fondant with tylose powder added to it for accents so it dries hard.
Did you add anything to the fondant?
I'm not sure it will have time to dry hard enough to stand up if it's straight fondant.

For the lollipops I would make those from gumpaste as well and let them dry completely before attaching them to the cake.
Are you putting them on the side of the cake of sticking the lollipop sticks into the cake?

CWR41 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by areinsbach

I did the owl in brown fondant. I did three ovals (pushed together) for the body and attached the ears and put three wires in the middle. My question is will this actually stand up on the cake? How long does it need to dry to stand up on the cake?

Is it standing up now? If it's standing on its own without drooping, I wouldn't worry about it. If you haven't assembled the sections yet because they're too soft, you can help them to dry faster by putting them near a fan or near a lightbulb (or in the oven with only the lightbulb on). If it doesn't dry enough after 24 hours or so, you might consider making another owl from RK treats and cover it with fondant.

areinsbach Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 6

I did the owl with gumpaste. The body part was two ovals stuck together with lollipop sticks in the middle. It actually worked out great! I am so relieved! It is all decorated and looks adorable! Thanks so much all for your help! MUCH APPRECIATED!

Now for the lollipops.....I did them and they are all almost done (3 more to do). I am attaching them to the side of the cake and putting a piece of ribbon along the bottom edge of the stick/boarder of the cake. So, my question is how do I get these lollipop sticks to stick onto the fondant covered cake? I was thinking about putting gum glue on lollipop and stick...... Any suggestions would be great! I think I posted a pic of the cake the customer wants......THANKS! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6
Quote:

I did the owl with gumpaste. The body part was two ovals stuck together with lollipop sticks in the middle.

Did you scrap the brown fondant owl with the three wires in it? Glad it worked out for you using the gumpaste that dried.

Quote:

So, my question is how do I get these lollipop sticks to stick onto the fondant covered cake?

I think I posted a pic of the cake the customer wants......

Since you made them with fondant, fondant sticks to fondant with water. If you're trying to attach the actual stick to the fondant, I don't think you'll need to worry about it because depending on the thickness, the stick won't touch the cake--it will just hang down from the fondant that it's stuck into.

There isn't a pic of the cake wanted.

Coral3 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to chime in here to say...

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:
First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and past it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.
thumbs_up.gif

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%