No Insurance Becasue Of Flavoring??

Business By motherofgrace Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 2:41am by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 12

I guess this is a vent.

In my province I can sell out of my home only at farmers markets.

I am covered under their insurance.

But I want to do trade shows and to do that, I need my own insurance. Which is totally fine.

Today I called our insurance company and they said because I order my loranne oils from the states, NO ONE will cover me.

I just dont understand it.... So if I buy my oils here (more expensive) then I can be covered?

boooo. But it is something I will haev to do if I want to expand.

Thanks

11 replies
momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:28am
post #2 of 12

I would call a different company for a second opinion. The lack of coverage because you order oils from the States just doesn't make sense. The oils come from the States, no matter where you buy them from.
My hubby is an insurance broker so I'll ask him what he thinks of it icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
post #3 of 12

thanks. Its didnt make sense to me either. She said anything going to or from the states they wont cover.........

BethEK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethEK Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:57am
post #4 of 12

Hi
I do not know much about the flavoured oils, but I do know that there are certain ingredients put in food colouring in the states that are not FDA approved here in Canada. I was told by a Wilton instructor that it is a certain ingredient put into red food colouring. So maybe the thing with the oils falls into that category and it is not FDA approved here.

motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:59am
post #5 of 12

then it would not be allowed past the border...... I pay an extra $70 ATLEAST in border fees for them to check that sort of thing

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 12

I did actually just read something about that the other day. That there's something in red and yellow food coloring that they don't want you to feed to kids because they think it causes ADHD. I have no idea if it's related to the oils you are ordering. And it's completely dumb if you ask me for your insurance company not to insure you because of oils, but all I can say is good luck!

motherofgrace Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12

liek i said before, if its not supposed to be shipped in, the that is the borders problem. They should have stopped it then, hence paying extra money on top of my order for the service.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:26am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

liek i said before, if its not supposed to be shipped in, the that is the borders problem. They should have stopped it then, hence paying extra money on top of my order for the service.

If an ingredient is not approved for use in food in your country (not sure if that's actually the case here), and it was shipped as a food item, then they should have stopped it at the border. But if they did miss it by mistake, that doesn't mean the ingredient is now approved, and you still can't use it in products that are made for human consumption...so it is in fact your problem.

I would follow up with the insurance company (escalating to a manager if necessary) and find out the specific reason you were denied coverage. If you hear the same story from competing insurance companies, you may want to contact the authorities that regulate insurance...in the US most states have insurance commissioners, I'm guessing there is a similar office in Canada at the provincial or federal level.

FYI, I believe it is FD&C Red 40 (a food dye) that is banned in Canada, but can still be used in the US. So if you use ingredients with Red 40 you should probably switch to alternatives.

motherofgrace Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:04am
post #9 of 12

Jason- Ya I know its my problem lol, just a little frustrated is all. I have left messaged with some alternatives.

Quote:
Quote:

I believe it is FD&C Red 40 (a food dye) that is banned in Canada, but can still be used in the US. So if you use ingredients with Red 40 you should probably switch to alternatives.

I dont think this is it. I get my colouring here at michaels, and it has that in there... hmm now im curious.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #10 of 12

That's odd...either Canada has loosened its regulations regarding Red 40, or Michaels is not aware that their vendors are including the ingredient in their products. Which items sold at Michaels contain Red 40, and are they labeled as "not food safe" or "not for consumption"?

I would also get clarification from the health dept (or whoever manages food safety) to see if you can legally sell products that contain Red 40, that would be a more serious issue.

momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:24am
post #11 of 12

motherofgrace: I pm'd you with a number to a broker in my husband's company's Edmonton's branch. He thinks you should talk to a broker and not the company. HTH!

motherofgrace Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:41am
post #12 of 12

Its the Wilton No taste red lol.

Yes I am in touch with my health inspector. I know him well, so I will bring it up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%