Cake Delivery

Decorating By MustardSeed Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm by Marianna46

MustardSeed Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:47am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake that someone wants to pickup on Friday for a Sunday celebration.

Problem - sugarpaste flowers should be on top of cake and cake needs to be refrigerated.

How long can sugarpaste flowers hold in the refrigerator?

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

Indefinitely. The problem is the condensation that can form on them when you take them OUT of the fridge - it might soften them or make them gooey or otherwise damage them. One solution to this problem is to box the cake and wrap it well in plastic wrap. The whole box should be refrigerated and then, after the cake is removed from the fridge, it needs to stand - still wrapped - until the cake is at room temperature. That way the condensation forms on the wrapping, not on the cake. Once the condensation has evaporated from the box, it's safe to unwrap the cake.

Claire138 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 6

Marianna, does that apply to cakes covered in MMF too?

Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, in fact that's what they were talking about in the thread where I first read this idea - how to keep moisture off of refrigerated fondant cakes. I was particularly interested because I live in a high-humidity area where any added moisture spells death for a fondant-covered cake, but what do you do when you have a cake with a perishable filling that absolutely has to be refrigerated? Well, this was the solution, and I can tell you it works like a charm.

Claire138 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

Good to know,

Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 6

I got to thinking about my original reply - sometimes a big box won't fit in a fridge, but as long as the whole thing is wrapped up tight (and by tight I don't mean pressing on the cake, but rather with no leaks) in plastic wrap, it will work. I found this to be a life-saver, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%