How To Attach Arms? Help Please

Decorating By Babs1964 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 12:29am by Babs1964

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to try and replicate a Harry & The Henderson's Bigfoot doll for my son's birthday cake (he had one when he was little he's now 21). He will be standing I think I have the legs and the rest of the body figured out but I'm not sure how I should go about attaching the arms that will just hang at the sides. Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 9

What are you using for the rest of the body? That will help us determine how to attach the arms.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

A skewer through both arms and the body, cover any skewer with icing or fondant. Should do it especially since arms are hanging down. hth

Babs1964 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

What are you using for the rest of the body? That will help us determine how to attach the arms.

The legs are dowels covered in cereal treats with modelling chocolate over top, then a cake board will be fastened on the top of the dowels the trunk of the cake will be three six inch cakes and the head will be made out of cereal treats as well. The trunk of the body will be covered in buttercream I think!
If anyone has other ideas I'm sure open to opinions as I have never made a "standing" figure.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 9

Here is the website I went to when I needed to make a 2 foot (well 1½) tall Godzilla:
http://cocopalomadesserts.blogspot.com/2010/03/when-cakes-attack.html

I'd say if you already have the support for the legs, just add a center PVC rod (which will help support the stacked cakes as well.) Then add a cross connector from the center pvc so you can branch off and add pvc armature for the arms as well as extra support for the head. Basically - from the waist up on the armature pictured on the website. Hope this all makes sense. Post pics when you're done!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:16am
post #6 of 9

I've not done a full free standing cake before, but I've done the 'bust' of one. It sounds like you are on the right trail.
Harry, is a little bit like the bumble in my photo folder. I've also done Oscar the Grouch which is kind of similar.
Harry can be covered with BC. I used a Wilton fur tip. (a multi holed tip)
Personally, I'd follow a photo of Harry on the computer as a guide for coloring and shading his hair. His face can be done in fondant.

As far as the arms are concerned, I think I would make them of rkt and cover with bc fur.
I'm not a superior cake decorator by far, But I think I would attack the arms in this way: I would do it the way you are saying. I would insert a cardboard circle covered in wax paper, on top of the second 6" layer. Before I added the third layer, I would lay a wooden dowel which has been sharpened on both ends, across the cardboard, secure with bc and then add the third layer of cake. (shoulders?)(maybe notch out the third layer for the dowel?) I would attach rkt arms by sticking them onto the wooden dowels.
(I wouldn't use skewers, I'd be afraid they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the rkt arms) I'd use 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch wooden dowels.
make fondant fingers and attach them with tooth picks into the rkt arms?

This is just my idea, I've never worked it out from theory to proof, but this is simply the way I'd attack the cake. * some of the techniques I've used and they work, the bc fur, the fondant face, the fondant fingers attached with tooth picks, my Bumble has been done this way.

It sounds like a real fun cake to make I hope he turns out cute for you. Very ambitious! Let us know how you made out and show us a picture!
tokazodo

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:22am
post #7 of 9

Use RK and cover with chocolate candy...then use the BC or fondant or what you will be using for the covering. That is how I do my R2D2 cakes.

Babs1964 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions I think I have a clearer idea what to do now! The one thing about not knowing what your doing is that you don't know that you don't know what your doing! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif
I will post pics next week (if it turns out, lol) as thats when my son will get it!

Babs1964 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:29am
post #9 of 9

I can't seem to attach my pic of Harry but he's in my album. Thanks for the help CC'ers! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%