What's The Point In Posting Pics If.....

Decorating By mommie917 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 8:41pm by JanH

mommie917 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 12

Just wondering what's the point in posting cake pics if some people are going to be greedy with their tips and tricks?? I've seen several photos where people have asked for advice on how they created it and the original poster doesn't respond back. I'm just wondering if they're worried that someone will do it better than them, they should be proud that someone would want to attempt their design. Take it as a compliment. This isn't meant to be a rude post, just a general observation and question. Thank you to all of you that don't mind helping out your fellow CC'ers!!!!

11 replies
MamaMia808 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 12

I personally don't check my pictures frequently enough to answer questions. So if you asked me, SORRY!!! icon_wink.gif

angelcakes5 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 12

I am not making excuses but alot of times the person who made the cake pm's the person. I know I have had alot of people do that to me. But I dont know!

SadEyes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 12

The way I see it, they are not obliged to answer. they are simply posting their picture. Provinding info on the technique is a privilege not an obligation; and quite a few times you see people asking questions that they could probablyfigure out themselves or simply research on Google.

mcdonald Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 12

I know when I was posting cakes on here, I never went back to see comments, etc!!! I have learned to pm the person if I have any questions!

miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 12

I actually do not receive notification if I get any comments, so unless I'm looking for them I don't see them.

Manderly42 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadEyes

The way I see it, they are not obliged to answer. they are simply posting their picture. Provinding info on the technique is a privilege not an obligation; and quite a few times you see people asking questions that they could probablyfigure out themselves or simply research on Google.

I agree. The point of posting pictures is to show your artistic talent. I don't post pictures hoping someone will ask me how I did something. But I would share a technique or direct them to the person I learned it from if asked because I've certainly learned a lot from CC and would totally pass it on!

However, like others have mentioned, not many of us go back to check comments on pics, so unless you send a pm, your question might not get answered. But that doesn't mean they don't want to share. Try sending a pm. If they do not respond to that, post a new topic in the proper forum and someone will help you! Good luck!!

sweetflowers Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 12

'greedy 'with tips and tricks? I think that attitude would offend me. I generally share information when asked and am happy to do it. But I don't post a picture as an offer to teach others everything I know. It's not an obligation when posting. And since I teach classes, and try to earn a living doing so, it's hard for me to give a full tutorial on something I teach a class on .

Are you also saying that if you post a question in the forum and it isn't answered by everyone who did know the answer, they are being 'greedy' by not sharing their knowledge? I think this is the 'entitlement' attitude I am having a problem with.

CWR41 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie917

Just wondering what's the point in posting cake pics if some people are going to be greedy with their tips and tricks??

I think many people post their pics as a way to show off/showcase their talents to friends/clients they direct here, or to CC buddies. It's a place to store their work for future reference and for the enjoyment for others to view. Sometimes, it's to get a response, opinion, critique, or to get help with diagnosing a problem. I don't consider it greedy to want to post a photo, and by no means is it considered mandatory to explain how you mastered a technique just for sharing a photo. Taking time to write tips, tricks, or tutorials aren't required to participate, and it's rude to expect that anyone is entitled to an explanation.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 12

Some people simply don't have the time to answer questions about how they made a cake. I know I don't have much time to answer people's questions. I work in a restaurant until late at night, take online college classes and am about to start a full-time accelerated nursing program so my spare time is about to become even more limited. And I don't have children to take care of like a lot of people. I've also noticed that a lot of the questions people ask in the photo comments have already been answered in the photo desciption or are questions that would be easily answered with a quick google search or by watching one of the numerous youtube videos available. I have to agree with sweetflowers about the "entitlement' attitude. I'm in my twenties and the behavior of a lot of the people my age simply astounds me.

motherofgrace Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 12

I think your train of thought is exactly why most dont, you feel entitled to the instructions. When I make anything I alone have spent a great deal of time figuring it out, why shoudl I just lay it all out for you. Questions and pms and one thing, you thinking I HAVE to tell you..... is simply not my problem!

JanH Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie917

Just wondering what's the point in posting cake pics if some people are going to be greedy with their tips and tricks?? I've seen several photos where people have asked for advice on how they created it and the original poster doesn't respond back. I'm just wondering if they're worried that someone will do it better than them, they should be proud that someone would want to attempt their design. Take it as a compliment. This isn't meant to be a rude post, just a general observation and question. Thank you to all of you that don't mind helping out your fellow CC'ers!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

Over the last month or so there has been an unsettling increase in the volume and frequency of petty bickering in the forums.

This behavior is completely unacceptable and against the spirit of Cake Central.

The moderators and administrators are fed up with trying to keep up with this ugliness and trying to keep the peace.

Quite frankly, Heath and I are disgusted with the behavior of a handful of members and we are putting an end to it.

Consider this message fair notice to everyone. The leniency is over. We are going to start banning any member we feel is starting problems, provoking others, making snide remarks, or insulting other members.

I don't care if we have to ban 1000 users if that is what it takes to get this community back to focusing on cakes instead of inter-personal drama.

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%