Using Icing Tubes With Royal Icing

Decorating By Kelloggs36 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 7:10pm by Kelloggs36

Kelloggs36 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hi - this is my first post plus I am a complete novice at this icing malarkay!! I have successfully done some fondant icing novelty cakes but want to widen my skills to include piping. I have a kit with the smallest tube being a number 2. I am trying to make run out pictures for a commission I have been given to do. I have done a large number which is fine, but I would like to do a slightly more detailed picture. The problem is that the number 2 tube is too thick, and the 00 I had kept clogging up and I couldn't get any icing out of it - it kept spurting out of the sides of my piping bag (home made from baking parchment). I think that the icing is either not mixed thoroughly enough (but I don't know how much is okay), or is too thick (although I managed to do one part okay).

Can anybody give me any tips on how to do this effectively? How runny or thick does the icing need to be? I used royal icing which you just add water to rather than normal icing sugar and egg white this time - just for practising with. Thanks!!!

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 3

Just use a parchment bag without a tip and cut the opening to the size you want.

Kelloggs36 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 3

Doh! Of course, I didn't think of that - thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%