Cake Ball Tower Questions

Decorating By MandiJ Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm by Dayti

MandiJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiJ Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

What would the dimensions (cake board/drum sizes) be for a round cupcake tower that has to hold 100 cake balls with a 6" round cake on top?

Also any help with how to make my own tower using cake drums would be wonderful! I have never made one before.

Thank you so much in advance!

6 replies
geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 7

would like to know this as well. I've been thinking about using styrofoam dummes and placing holes in it to hold the cake pops. One that I could reuse and re-cover with fondant to match any color theme. Maybe take a 14", 10", 6" cake dummy, stacked, etc... Maybe even use a 2" high instead of a 4" high dummy 4" spacers in between each layer to add more pops...???? This can also be created with cardboard rounds glued together and then decorated to match theme? Just my ideas I've been throwing around.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 7

When I did a cake ball tower (cone shaped, held 98 cake balls). I figured out the area of the cone in sq. inches, then estimated the # of cake balls I would need to fill it based on that (my cake balls were about 1" each). You would just need to figure out the surface area your cake balls will cover based on their size (sq. inches x 100) then calculate how much surface area you need for the tower. A bit of math involved but the most precise way to figure it out.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 7

I really would recommend AGAINST using styrofoam if you want to reuse your display. I've found that the holes tend to get bigger and won't hold them up straight and the balls end up leaning or falling out since the styrofoam doesn't hold its shape well with holes. I cheated. I had my hubby make me some out of wood and drill holes with a Drummel (sp?).

MandiJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiJ Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I actually I am just wanting to use a cupcake stand place the cake balls on it like you would cupcakes. Orginally she wanted the cone idea until she found a picture of them place on a cupcake stand with a 6" rd cake on top. icon_biggrin.gif

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yeah! Those are really cute! Post pictures when you're done! icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 7

Here is a tutorial for making your own stand: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes

You might want to cut the dummies down some though if you will only be using the stand for cake balls, since you will have quite alot of space above them which might look strange icon_smile.gif

To get the dimensions, an easy way is to just play around with empty mini cupcake cases (or whatever cases you use) on cake boards to see how many fill each size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%