Help! Red Food Color In Red Velvet Cake...ugh!

Baking By kello Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 12:24pm by leily

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 11

OK, I've made red velvet cake once before and used the liquid kind of color from the grocery store. THIS time I used Americolor super red and it's so disgusting! I tasted the batter and there is no way I can serve that. Will that taste bake out? I don't have the liquid kind on hand, and I now have to re-bake something.
Anyone use the super red with great results? Any other suggestions?
What does everyone else use?

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 11

only the red liquid, I can get a big bottle from my restauarant supply for $1.99. I would have figured the super red gel would have made the batter very bitter and I doubt it would bake out but never having used it, I am not really sure.

kello Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 11

Well, thanks! I guess I'm off to the store. I baked a few cupcakes with the batter and it tasted even worse!! I actually spit it out.
Lesson learned!!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 11

Oh man, I was just getting ready to make red velvet cupcakes and use the Americolor paste too! You should bake it and see if maybe the taste bakes out since you already have the batter made. That is such a bummer though )= I'm sorry )=

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

There is a recipe on this site for red velvet cake using canned beets (almost 4 cans) that have been pureed and drained. There is only a small amount of red food colouring that goes into the recipe. I have made it many times...each time to rave reviews. It tastes delicious, is wonderfully moist and is a good red colour.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

I should read before I post (=

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 11

i have an absolutely delicious red velvet recipe, and it uses 2 TBsp of red food coloring (i just use mccormick) and it doesnt adversly affect the flavor of the cake whatsoever.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 11

You have to be careful with the americolor, I use 3/4 tsp of americolor super red into 8 ounce of water. If you want I could PM you my recipe.

kello Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks gbbaker. I only used about 1/2 - 3/4 tbsp of the Americolor. (my recipe called for 2Tbsp as well) I just can't believe the difference in taste from the cake I made a few weeks ago. I'm not a fan of red velvet, but I thought it was quite good.
I love the recipe I use, it's just that the food color makes all the difference!!
Where can you get McCormick's?

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:19am
post #10 of 11

mccormicks comes from any grocery store... its in the spices icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 11

I know it's to late, but for next time. I only use the Americolor paste. However i NEVER use 2 oz of it. I measure out 2oz of water and then disolve enough of the americolor paste to create a nice red. I just create my own liquid red food coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%