Question For Food Safety Mavens

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am very careful about using only food safe plastics.

But what about metal? Are there contaminants that can leach out of, let's say tin?

I ask because I've spotted some really cute tin containers, very cheap, which I would love to offer truffles samples in (I love giving dual gifts), but I'm always leary of utilizing things not specifically made for food use.

They are advertised in the store for use with candies, but it's a discount store and that may just be their way of trying to sell them. People who don't make food/desserts are not conscious about these things.

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 7

Could you use them with some sort of liner to avoid direct contact with food?

TabbieCakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 7

That's true .... I put all my truffles in a mini liner, so they never actually touch the container holding them ...

... still wondering about chemicals leaching from metal though, just as a matter of general knowledge.

Thanks for reminding me about the wrappers though! DUH! icon_redface.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 7

I've bought decorative plates and bowls that have a label on them that say they aren't to be used with food. You may want to look for a label like that on them. If there is no label then I, personally, would probably use them. As was mentioned you can line the container with some pretty food safe stuff>

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

I use all kinds of containers but I always line with parchment paper or decorative wax papers so I don't worry about the leaching issue. I would never put food directly in any container, even my bakery boxes get a layer of parchment first.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 7

I would definitely line the tin with some sort of food safe liner. That said, the article that I link to is interesting (if disturbing) reading.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp_297602/Chemicals_Leaching_From_Food_Packaging

TabbieCakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

I would definitely line the tin with some sort of food safe liner. That said, the article that I link to is interesting (if disturbing) reading.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp_297602/Chemicals_Leaching_From_Food_Packaging

WOW icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%