Candy Clay... Epic Failure

Decorating By Cupcations Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 3:17am by letsgetcaking

Cupcations Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

I almost never screw up when I try something new (thank goodness)
But with this icon_sad.gif
It was my first time & was too excited to make it
I used white chocolate morsels, when I added the corn syrup they literally turned into ROCKS!!!!
what did I do wrong??
& do I just throw them in the garbage or can the batch be recovered
Please help!! icon_sad.gif

4 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

What exactly do you mean? Did the chocolate seize up so you couldn't even spread it to cool? Or do you mean that the cooled candy clay is really hard? I've made candy clay a couple of times and both times it was pretty hard to the touch after it dried. You have to knead it for a while with your hands, and it'll soften up - just like clay. Once you shape it into whatever you're making, it'll harden again.

At first, mine even crumbled into pea-sized bits, but I just kept squishing it all back together with my hands and the heat of my hands helped it form into a softer, workable ball.

If it is so hard even after trying to work it by kneading it, maybe you could microwave it for a few seconds and add a little extra corn syrup and allow it to cool again.

Cupcations Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

When I made it it all came together but in a crumbly way, I put it in the fridge & after it came out it was one big rock. I kept it out like all day & it stayed the same, if I try to seperate it it crumbls, I tried putting it in the microwave & adding more corn syrup it actually made it worse theyr excatly like chopped nuts right now icon_cry.gif

fruitsnack Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't made it for a while, but I didn't put mine in the fridge. I let it set overnight, and it was rock hard. I thought I had ruined it, too. I started by taking little chunks of it and kneading it, and it softened up pretty quickly. Then I would add more little chunks until it was all one soft piece again.

Good luck!

letsgetcaking Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #5 of 5

I agree with Fruitsnack, that the mixture should cool down and set on the counter. I did the same thing she did and worked with small chunks of it at a time in order to soften it up.

Because you said it came together "in a crumbly way" as you mixed everything and before it had even cooled, I think the chocolate seized on you. Before it cools down, the mixture should be really smooth and easy to stir.

The chocolate may have been heated to too high a temp or some water may have gotten into the mixture, which will cause that problem. All of your utensils must be bone dry when working with melted chocolate. Even condensing steam can cause a problem.

I'm not sure if you can salvage it, but this page gives some suggestions on how you may be able to still use it. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%