Grocery Store Frosting

Decorating By holtesl Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm by holtesl

holtesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holtesl Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

I just started a new job as a grocery store cake decorator. Before this, all of my work has been at home and with self taught techniques. I just started working with their buttercream and I can't seem to get it to ice the cakes smoothly. There are bubbles everywhere and it's starting to frustrate me. It's the typical grocery store frosting...does anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

Do they make it themselves or order it in from a supplier?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6

Bubbles everywhere indicate that the buttercream was badly mixed at high speed, incorporating lots of air .. a bad batch!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:06am
post #4 of 6

If they make it themselves, they need to be sure the mixer is full to the top of the beater blade.

If they order it in from a supplier, they need to find another supplier or else they'll need to remix it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:11am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Bubbles everywhere indicate that the buttercream was badly mixed at high speed, incorporating lots of air .. a bad batch!

Not necessarily. I make my own icing and i always beat it long enough that it gets light and fluffy and lots of air bubbles in it. However i let it sit for a few hours and then take a spatula through it to "push" the air bubbles out and it givees me one of the creamiest,smoothest icings ever.

When i worked in chain store bakery some of the buckets of icing that came in had air bubbles. Just take a large spatula and stir it (not fast, just so you move it around and get the air bubbles out) Then fill your bag and use. icon_smile.gif

holtesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holtesl Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry it took me so long to get back...Cake Central has been really slow on my computer lately and I didn't know there were any responses. It's a mix that they mix together themselves. I don't do any of the mixing so I can't control that, but I'll try stirring it myself before filling the bags. Otherwise, I think I might just have to be happy with the bubbles...which is IMPOSSIBLE since I'm a bit of a perfectionist. We'll see what happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%