Stuck! Need Help Coming Up With A Design

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 3:51am by Foxicakes

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 15

Hello, I am so stuck and can't figure out how to go about doing this cake. It's a 12" square cake and needs to be based off this invitation.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61400560/lets-roll-roller-skating-birthday-party

I have made a white fondant rollerskate ( like the picture) about 7" long and 5" high. I don't know how to go about the rainbow. Should I cover the whole top of the cake in buttercream rainbow vertical stripes? Should I cut out fondant strips, or maybe fondant circles? Leave part of it plain....? HELP PLEASE! I'm so stuck. Thank you.

14 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 15

Can you do the cake itself in a sold color, then lay strips of colored fondant across the top (maybe at an angle) as a "road" for the rollerskate to sit on?

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 15

I would probably do what cakeyouverymuch suggested. Just cover the square in plain buttercream, then color some fondant with the rainbow colors... it looks like there are seven colors (ROYGBIV). Roll each color out and cut into strips that vary in size.

The only problem I see would be if you lay them vertical like the invitation, and start the strip at the base of the top side (where the cake meets the board) & end at the base of the bottom side, then the right and left sides might look funny. Another option could be to have all four sides buttercreamed in one of the colors and just have the rainbow strips for the top. Then you could lay them vertical or on a diagonal easily.

Cake_Nurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Nurse Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 15

I would make it like the invitation, except your skate will be 3D. You could do under the skate rainbow, like the invitation, and then black for the other 5 inches. This is where you could write happy birthday.

Reganlynn Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 15

These are all the same things that keep running through my head. I worry if I lay the strips covering the sides and then going up over the cake that the 2 other sides will look funny. I worry that if I do the whole top rainbow that my rollerskate will get lost because it's too busy.

I like the idea of doing the rainbow on an angle, like a road for the skate to sit on and then maybe have the rest of the cake white buttercream and do rainbow colored balls for a border around the bottom?? I never thought this cake would be so hard.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 15

Do you have an airbrush? You could leave the buttercream and airbrush the rainbow on it. I would add the glitter flowers all over it and even some hearts In Edible glitter like on the roller skate and put happy birthday on there somewhere or the name on wires with fondant/gum paste mix and then coated in edible glitter too.

Reganlynn Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 15

No, I wish I had an airbrush!

sully112099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully112099 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 15

I would just do a flat cake and draw the invite a roller blade on the cake.

Reganlynn Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the ideas! I ended up just doing it like the invitation with rainbow strips and then laying the skate I made on top. Overall, I am happy with how it came out. I don't like doing sheet cakes too much though, they are always harder for me.

Thanks again everyone!

sully112099 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 15

I seen all the cakes came out great. You do awesome work. do you know how to make watermelon icing. for I got to make it for my step-daughters bridal shower. it is the color of the girls dresses. I need the Watermelon color for the frosting to make the roses and around the umbrellia on her cake with a poem I wrote going on it.

This shower is filled with lots of love and wishes too,
For a beautiful future for both Joe and you.

I will put a picture of it on here when done but do you know how to make watermelon for the color of my frosting what colors am I to mix together do you know.

Reganlynn Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:14am
post #11 of 15

I wish I could help you, I wouldn't know how to make watermelon icing. I'd try looking online, maybe americolor. They have a ton of colors and I'm sure you could find a color that is close to what you are looking for.

sully112099 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:07am
post #12 of 15

Will try that site thanks

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:35am
post #13 of 15

The cake came out great. I am sure they will love it.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:46am
post #14 of 15

Sully112099, Wilton makes a gel color called "Watermelon" it is the exact shade of a ripe watermelon. HTH

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #15 of 15

Regalynn, the cake looks great. I'm sure they'll love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%