Sugar Flowers - Help Shaping Issue!

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm by Marianna46

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:21am
post #1 of 2

Hi I made a couple of sugar gerberas 2 days ago. What i'm trying to do is get them so they sit back to back on top of a cake. If i dry them flat (they are unwired) I'm not sure how i'll get them to sit properly on top of the cake. I dried one in a domed tray so it would be slightly curved but for some reason it hasn't dried properly. I picked it up and half the petals fell off icon_cry.gif

Hope someone can shed some light pls

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 2

What are you making your flowers from? If it's straight up fondant, you might need something that dries harder, like gumpaste (if I understand correctly, the UK terms for these are sugarpaste and flower paste, respectively, but I could be wrong!). Another thing you could try is letting your flowers dry not on hard flower formers but on something like crumpled paper towels, kleenex or even synthetic pillow stuffing (dalcron or some such), which is what I use. These things will either help to absorb the moisture (the paper towels and the kleenex) or let the air get in to dry them on all sides (the pillow stuffing). Hope you have better luck the next time around!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%