Help With Stand Mixers

Decorating By lilacc01 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 11:55am by newbaker55

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:48am
post #1 of 12

I am looking through Kitchen Aid Mixers on Amazon and there are soooo many different versions! What is the best one to get? I am just a hobbyist. Thank you so much!

11 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:14am
post #2 of 12

Watch amazon for sales and rebates. I have three sizes. The pro 6 is the biggest and most powerful. I recently got an artisan to fill in with lighter jobs. One huge problem... when I make IMBC or french buttercream, it takes forever to come to room temperature and I finally figured out why. The smaller motor in the artisan heats up after awhile, preventing the whites or yolks from cooling down. i put the frozen vegetables around it, but what a pain. The pro 6 motor stays completely cool. I will never buy a smaller one again.

lilacc01 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the help. I'm seeing those for about $320. That about average?

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 12

Check ebay. There will always be something on there. I kept bidding until I got the price I wanted. I think I ended up paying about $290, including shipping, last summer for my new pro 6. Also, keep in mind that some colors will be more/less expensive than others on Amazon. I am very happy with my mixer. I got the biggest because I didn't want to have to buy another one when I started to do bigger projects, and I had heard the best feedback about the pro models.

lilacc01 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks! What do you guys think of getting a factory refurbished one?

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12

I bought a kenwood chef last week , sooooo happy x

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #7 of 12

I got a pro 6 about 3 months ago for $250.00 after a rebate from Amazon, with free shipping. If you can wait, watch for them to go on sale, they do periodically. I love my mixer! I will never get a smaller one again.

I also recommend a second bowl if you can swing it. I hate it when I have to get out my hand mixer because a recipe called for something mixed and something whipped and then combined...

KarlaGJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarlaGJ Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #8 of 12

I had a KitchenAid with the tilt head for about 10 yrs. and it started leaking into the bowl. I opted to purchase a new rather than repair and got the Pro 6 model and love it! The folks @ Kitchenaid said all the mixers need to be run at high speed at least 10 min. a week to prevent the leaking problem, so I'm doing that with the new one. Does anyone have a similar experience?

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #9 of 12

Leaking what? I have never heard of that happening. Yuck!

Another note, the bowl lift on the Pro 6 took a little getting used to, but the whole thing seems a lot more stable than the flip top ones.

lilacc01 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:05am
post #10 of 12

Do any of you have a factory refurbished one or know someone who does? Do you think it would be a poor decision on my part?

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:58am
post #11 of 12

I live about an hour from the Kitchen Aid outlet in Greenville, Ohio. Purchased a refurbished Pro 6 for under $200 (get a discount with AAA membership.) Love it. I have had good luck with refurbished appliances as long as they are factory refurbished.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:55am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaGJ

I had a KitchenAid with the tilt head for about 10 yrs. and it started leaking into the bowl. I opted to purchase a new rather than repair and got the Pro 6 model and love it! The folks @ Kitchenaid said all the mixers need to be run at high speed at least 10 min. a week to prevent the leaking problem, so I'm doing that with the new one. Does anyone have a similar experience?

(ShandraB...the leak is oil from the motor).

KarlaG...I have the same problem with my 15 y/o KA Classic. It never did that until I had it in storage after a move a few years ago. I guess the old adage is true...Use it or lose it! icon_biggrin.gif A new KA Pro is on my wish list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%