Do You Have Your Cake...and Not Eat It Too?!

Lounge By sugardugar Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 4:35am by funtodecorate2

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 39

Sometimes I feel like the only person that loves decorating but doesn't eat the stuff. Long story short: I worked far too hard 7 years ago to lose 120lbs - there's no way I'd let anything change that, pfft!

I do taste my recipes..and then spit it out. Sounds gross but worth it for me.

Do you think I'm crazy?
Any other cakers not eat cake?!

38 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 39

In Paula Deen's autobiography, one of her chapters starts, "There are spitters and there are swallowers. I'm a swallower." We (should) all get the drift.... But she was talking about the thin chefs like Giada who taste their food for the camera and then spit it out. Paula isn't going to waste her food. I am a batter nut and so are my daughters. I like it alot better than the finished product. So I keep an eye on the sink, watching out for decadent dirty bowls and beater blades.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 39

Given a choice of desserts, cake is probably near the bottom for me. I love decorating but do not care for cake itself all that much. Now frosting.....that is another story!

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 39

People always laugh when I say I'm not a big fan of cake... but I love to decorate it and with the new recipes I've been experimenting with maybe I'll start eating more cake?... it's just not something I ever crave - and I have a huge sweet tooth?

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 39

Eating too much sugar makes me sick so I'm limited to small tastes of my treats, but that's good enough for me. I've always loved baking, and am always looking for excuses to make something for others. If ever there's a party or even if we just go over to a friend's place for dinner I always offer to do the dessert, even though I can't eat much of it!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 39

Excercise, bake, eat, excercise. I just try to come out even.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 39

I'm not a huge cake fan either! Or of ice cream (before I got married, throwing these out due to age was a regular occurrence). But cookies??? Oh, I've never met a cookie I didn't like... unfortunately our relationship doesn't last long...

sugardugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:15am
post #8 of 39

You guys make me feel way better about my 'quirkiness' lol!

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #9 of 39

I feel the same way - not a big cake eater at all - love to decorate them, but give me a raspberry or apple pie any day!!!

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #10 of 39

I used to eat too much cake but since I've been on a no carb diet I am a taster and spitter. Sugar is so addictive for me so I can't even take a little bit these days.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #11 of 39

I thought it was just me ! I love making and decorating cakes but only ever taste a little bit . My husband will eat the entire cake on his own over a few days ( Im new to this so making tonnes of practise cakes ) . He has put on half a stone since Christmas . LOL

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #12 of 39

If I had the choice of a piece of chocolate cake or cheesecake.....the cheesecake wins hands down! I nibble on the scraps when I torte the cake...just to make sure it taste's o.k.....quality control you know icon_wink.gif

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #13 of 39

I hate cake! haha I think I have just ate too much testing it, that I no longer like the stuff! I don't think you are strange at all! icon_smile.gif

MRSBSB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRSBSB Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #14 of 39

Yep, that's me too - I don't do cake, but give me a plate of ribs or wings, and that is a different matter. Not much of a chocolate fan either, but I do LOVE appetizers!

I do make myself taste any new recipe's though, just a crumb or two, enough to get a taste, but my husband is my official taster and of course I have a bunch of friends always willing to lend a hand when tasting is required!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:51am
post #15 of 39

i think it makes me perfect for the profession. at least i know i wont eat my inventory! ROFL! i always have a cookie cake for my birthday...not big on cake at all. only kind i'll eat more than one piece (not at one sitting of course lol) is a pound cake. love plain pounda cake, no glaze or frosting of any sort...yum

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:51am
post #16 of 39

Yeah... I'm not a cake lover either. I have tasted my recipes many times... I don't need to taste them any more.

Cake is at the rock bottom of my favorite sweet things to eat...

I love decorating... I'll leave the eating to my clients.

icon_biggrin.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:53am
post #17 of 39

I love me a bag of Ruffles chips or a big baked potato with extra butter.....cake? Eeh, take it or leave it. Give me a steak!

But its really hard to ice a steak, so there you go.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #18 of 39

I'm with the rest of you, I think we're just around it too much! I work in a catering kitchen and i'm always looking for potato or veg or meat to eat, and everyone else is coming to me looking for something sweet to eat. I'm in the recipe testing stage as well so I have to take tastes, but I don't eat more than a bite. I love me some savory food though!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:12am
post #19 of 39

LMAO Jentreu... meeeeeeeeeeee too!!

I love salty/briny things. Olives, marinated artichokes, cheese, I'll that that over sweets ANY day!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:02am
post #20 of 39

Ever hear the story about how to train employees to work in a candy store? You tell them they can eat all they want! After about 3 days, you don't have to worry about them eating anything at all! icon_lol.gif

People have said to me, "I bet you guys have cake at your house all the time!" to which I reply with a sullen look on my face, "bet we don't." icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:30am
post #21 of 39

cake is not one of my favourite things to eat, I don't even like chocolate much and the smell of ganache makes me sick.
And shock horror I have never liked to eat icing, even as a child. I did however love playing with play-doh and plasticine, I guess I never really grew out of that and that is why I love decorating.

Give me a nice cheese board with some lovely fresh fruit anyday.

Like Indydebi, we don't eat cake in this house either, All trimmings go in the bin.

sugardugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #22 of 39

LOL Debi, so so true.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #23 of 39

Debi, that doesn't always work. My uncle bought my three cousins a candy store. The didn't stop..........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Debi, that doesn't always work. My uncle bought my three cousins a candy store. The didn't stop..........

Oh No! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:33pm
post #25 of 39

I love cake so much but as with the OP I'm a dieter! I had my 3rd child 7 months ago and have lost 16lbs and have about another 25 to go, I'm so motivated to lose the weight that I just don't ever want the cakes I make....apart from that peanut butter frosting I made at the weekend! That nearly knocked me off of my diet wagon!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #26 of 39

crp said: "cake is probably near the bottom for me. I love decorating but do not care for cake itself all that much. Now frosting.....that is another story!"

Oh ditto, ditto!!
But give me a dish of ice cream - especially chocolate - and crush some potato chips on top -- -- now that's heaven! icon_smile.gif

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:08am
post #27 of 39

Susan is a dieabetic so I am FORCED to taste test everthing she makes. Life is tuff , but I manage to do my fair share to help her out !!! LOL

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:37pm
post #28 of 39

I'm not a cake eater. Once in a great while, but 98% of the time it's not even tempting. I've never had a big sweet tooth. I guess it's a safe profession for me icon_smile.gif

I could never work in a Doritos factory, though.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #29 of 39

Ha! Ha! this is so funny because I too spit out any icing etc I get on my fingers etc..I hate the stuff and it doesn't agree with my tummy so I can't eat it anyways but some customers have made comments like"You must be eating cake and icing all the time"Ummm Nope...Don't like it and when I eat,sleep and dream it..I don't want to taste it too!!LOL

cbiscuit85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbiscuit85 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:35am
post #30 of 39

I have a sort of unique dilemma as I discovered several months ago that I have a gluten allergy. I don't eat any scraps of regular cakes (I make these all at my Mom's house - absolutely no flour allowed at mine). I do taste test the frosting, but only a little spoonful. I let myself indulge when I make gluten-free cakes and cookies at home, though. The ingredients are more expensive, so I try not to leave too many scraps but they disappear quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%