Covering Rice Krispies Treats With Fondant

Decorating By Caker16 Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 3:06pm by Caker16

Caker16 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I molded a pot (pot of gold) out of rice krispies treats and now I just need to know how to cover it in fondant. It is about the size of a large grapefruit. Should I cover the treats in frosting first and then fondant? I never really use fondant so any advice will help! Thanks

5 replies
Tor1985 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

Cover in buttercream or chocolate ganache first then cover in fondant.
Roll your fondant out a bit thicker, this helps to cover up any bumps if there are some.

Here's a link http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-a-cake-car

CakeswLove Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 6

Hi caker16, when I work with RKT I always cover with white chocolate (wilton melts) It helps to hold the RKT shape and it makes it a lot smoother to cover with fondant afterwards, hope that helps icon_wink.gif

kello Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 6

I've used melted chocolate candy melts. I painted it on with a brush and then once it sets, just rub with your hands to smooth it out. The heat of your hands is enough. Then cover in fondant!

kristiemarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

I just did this with my cake (a pot of gold made of rkt) and I covered it in butter cream first then rolled on the fondant.

Good luck!

Caker16 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

I ended up covering the rkt pot of gold with buttercream and then fondant and it turned out great. It was my first time really working with fondant so covering it was harder than I thought but I'm happy with the final product. Check out my photos if you would like to see it and thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%