Crumbling Cake

Decorating By shannonBridges Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm by shannonBridges

shannonBridges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonBridges Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 3

I have a lot of trouble with my cake not staying together when I trim/carve it. It usually crumbs in big chunks then I have to try and repair it with icing. Next time I going to use a jelly roll pan and cut my shapes from there. I have wondered if my knife (serraded) is too dull or am I doing something wrong? I just would rather be able to stack a couple of square or round pans and then trim the sides so that they are all even. Any suggestions?

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 3

Some cakes are just not good for carving. I don't know what recipe you're using, but look for a dense, moist cake, like a pound cake. Those are the ones that work best. I don't know what your carving technique is, either, but I always torte, fill and stack my cakes and then go to town on them with my knife. I use a really sharp non-serrated knife, but that's just my preference - others might like using different carving tools. I use a larger knife for the main cuts and a paring knife for the details. But I'd certainly say sharp is the operative word here. If your knife is the least bit dull, it will drag the cake with it as you carve.

shannonBridges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonBridges Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, I will continue to experiment and I will try a differnt knife. I have another one to do this weekend so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%